Field Trips, Good(?) News, And Messing With My Head Stuff

by anna on March 15, 2011

Mini went on his first field trip today. I accompanied him, thinking they would need extra help. Turns out I was wrong, since there were about 20 kids and 17 parents. This is undoubtedly reflective of the socioeconomics of Mini’s preschool, but nevertheless it was kind of heartwarming. Everybody wanted to be there, and Mr. Right-Click was seriously bummed he couldn’t come today.

Mini drew him a picture so he didn’t feel left out. I think these are the windows of the bus we took to get to the post office (the destination of the field trip). At the post office, Mini mailed a letter he had written to us. I’m kind of curious to see what it says, because he’s kind of turned into an unreliable narrator about these things: this morning he told me it was “filled with chocolate and vanilla,” and then he just told Mr. Right-Click that it said, “Dear Mommy and Daddy, I love you very much.” But maybe those are the same thing, if you are a three-year-old, now that I think about it.

On the field trip I was speaking to one of the other moms who had been reading my blog, and she said she was surprised I was there because of how sick I’d been. The truth is, today I am feeling better. Like, not 100% better, but better enough that now I’m starting to mindfuck myself because it’s not quite 11 weeks yet and where is the vomiting? Is not the vomiting necessary for the maintenance of the health of the baby demon spawn thing? And now that I think about it, my boobs are slightly less sore, should that be happening? Most alarming: I ate In ‘N’ Out Burger for lunch and all of it stayed down, without taking any Zofran today.

(!!)

Four years ago, this same thing could have happened and I’d just be throwing a party for myself at this point, but this time I’m a little spooked. I think mostly it’s because going through this again has just underscored how badly I never want to do this again, and if something were to go wrong I’m just not sure I have the strength to try again. It’s not the end of the world and certainly there are other options, but damn that would be a bummer, all things considered.

I go back to the OBGYN on Thursday, so until then at least it’s a two-day wait this time instead of that whole awful two-week nonsense. Here’s to hoping I’m just being paranoid, and/or that tomorrow I throw up after brushing my teeth.

Stefanie March 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm

When I was preggo with my first, I was so sick right up to 9.5 weeks and suddenly I was more or less fine. I couldn’t work at all at first and then I’m telling you, in one day I was at two job interviews.

With the twins I was horribly sick (on Zofran) up to 11.5 weeks and then fine. I wouldn’t worry! But I know how you feel. But really, everyone is different and every pregnancy is different and it’s not unusual to feel fine all of a sudden.

Veronica March 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm

My nausea with my second pregnancy eased shortly after 10 weeks – right around the time I started bleeding on and off. It’s not a horror story though, because my oh god panicking is now a 2yo sitting on the floor next to me. I found the nausea more violent with #2, but it didn’t take as long to stop and the small one was just as healthy, if a slightly more worrisome pregnancy.

I very much hope it’s the same thing for you and that this is just the end of the nausea.

Marie Green March 15, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. I had this EXACT thing happen at right around 11 weeks, and I felt the SAME WAY. Like… WHERE did baby GO? It actually drove me nuts, because as you said, the thought of going through ALL THAT sickness only to lose the baby… Ugg… it’s overwhelming to think about starting over. Luckily (and oddly, but I’m pretty sure) I started feeling baby sometime in my 13th week. Not on the reg, but enough to put those fears to rest, at least some. Oh, and I’ve had several little ultra sound “peaks” at baby, so that helps too. (I’m 14 weeks now, and started having TIGHTENING, as in… contractions yesterday. Everything checked out fine at the doctor’s this morning, but man, I traded one worry for another, basically.) (I have the very technically termed condition called “irritable uterus”.)

I hope you’re over the puking for good for this pregnancy.

MommyNamedApril March 16, 2011 at 5:31 am

gah, i always tell my husband – the only thing worse than feeling sick while you’re pregnant is NOT feeling sick. at least before you can poke your belly and watch it kick you back, then sickness is just evil.

beth confusedhomemaker March 16, 2011 at 7:29 am

i’m always paranoid, with this baby we had some scares early on & a few since, so every time i began to feel a little better i worried & then i’d throw up a day later. why is it that brushing teeth causes such a violent reaction? but for some reason, even though i hate being sick, it gave me comfort knowing everything was probably “OK”. anyway my point, if i ever had one, is i feel you.

however, now i wish the vomiting would stop (i’m at the point of feeling movement & can look for that) but getting sick hasn’t totally stopped yet…

hoping that your appt goes well & there’s nothing to worry about!

Kerry March 16, 2011 at 9:08 am

The way my doctor explained days like this to me was this:

It’s just like winter. You’re going along in month four of winter, and it’s cold, and then all of a sudden, you have a 50 degree day. And you’re all, spring! SPRING! And you put out the bird houses and rain gauge and you get out your short-sleeved shirts…and then, two days later, you get 17 inches of snow and the windchill is -16. Because it’s still March, and you totally fell for it. Sucker.

That’s how winter works in this part of the country. It’s too bad you live there, where this analogy won’t make any sense at all.

anna March 16, 2011 at 9:34 am

Yeah, the “spring” didn’t even last the whole day — I threw up last night. I was upset about it, but not, all at the same time.

Kerry March 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

(Oh, but spring does eventually come. Usually just in time for the Fourth of July. It’s the same with the barfing…it WILL end, eventually.)

Monica March 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

Paranoia gravidas – that’s what they call it, right?

Susan Tiner March 16, 2011 at 11:21 am

I am hoping you’ve seen the last of the barfing zone!

Desi March 16, 2011 at 11:43 am

Good luck Thursday! And mini looks like he’s probably super cute :)

Juliet Grossman March 17, 2011 at 6:51 am

You might feel totally different in different pregnancies, too. I wasn’t sick at all with Eva, but with Jane, I was sick from the day I took a positive pregnancy test to 18 weeks. Also for me at least the thing about feeling the baby move earlier for subsequent pregnancies was definitely true. Good luck!