I Can See! I Have Legs! I Look A Little Bit Like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar!

by anna on June 11, 2010

Just a quick note to let you guys know that the surgery seems to have been successful. As I write this, it’s only five hours after surgery, and I can already see pretty well without any lenses, and my eyes are getting more comfortable as time goes on. One thing I forgot to mention was the goggles I have to wear.

Cute, no? A little bit like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar circa 1985.

Also, they come with sunglasses that are big enough to fit around the outside and have a similarly wonderful fashionable aesthetic..

I have to wear these until Monday and then I’m home free. Regarding the surgery, it’s actually a piece of cake. All that worrying for nothing. They do the holding of the eyes open for you, and so I really had no problem. Those of you who are considering it, don’t worry on that front. It is a little bit uncomfortable post surgery, though. Not really painful, but uncomfortable. But my vision, as I say, is already good just a few hours later, and I expect it will continue to get better as time and healing progresses.

I took some Valium before the surgery, which is standard procedure for LASIK, the theory being that you have to be awake, so they want you to be relaxed. There are some sober alcoholics who are against taking any kind of medication in this way, particularly something like Valium, which is a prescription drug that tends to be abused, because they worry it will lead to a relapse, I’m not one of those people, but I do always worry about these kinds of things, and tend to obsess about it a little bit before and afterward. Here’s me, still a little groggy from the Valium, trying to watch the Laker game with Mr. Right-Click:

Thusfar everything seems to be going pretty well, with both the recovery and the recovery from surgery and the maintenance of my sobriety, knock on wood.

Also, I believe I’m guest posting over at Mommy Wants Vodka later on today, so please head on over there and give me a shout-out. Otherwise, I’ll see you back here, hopefully goggle-free, on Monday. EDIT: The post is up here.

Michele June 11, 2010 at 3:56 am

Looking good. I had lasik done 4 1/2 and I love it. Did you know that there are actually blades of grass? I know I was shock too but there are and you’ll be able to see them by the end of the weekend.

anna June 11, 2010 at 6:33 am

You mean it’s not just one continuous piece of fabric, like carpet? Wow! Do you remember what it looks like while it’s being done? Isn’t that trippy? KERRY DO NOT READ THIS PART.

I wanted to be able to take a picture of it, honestly, it’s so weird, the colors, and then the part where it’s like it’s black and white, and you can see the room but everything is grey, so weird.

jonniker June 11, 2010 at 4:52 am

This is super-helpful, as I’ve been considering Lasik for DECADES, but am too much of a chicken. I can’t wait to hear how it feels by tomorrow. (Today?)

The problem with this video, however, is that the Celtics beat the Lakers. Not the opposite, as MRC suggests. What a shame.

anna June 11, 2010 at 6:37 am

Yes, when that part was taped, we were winning by a few points. Sadly, it didn’t continue. My eyes were a little too irritated to pay close attention to the game, though I did see most of the fourth quarter, when we fell apart. Of course, this is exactly what I thought would happen with this series!

Today, my eyes feel much more comfortable. It’s going to be a challenge not to rub them, but other than that they’re good. They just felt swollen yesterday but today they’re not bad. I have to go to a post-op thing later, and then by Monday everything is supposed to be good.

My vision is good. I am noticing some light sensitivity. Like I turned on my phone in the dark and it was like WHOA and I had to move it way back from my face. That doesn’t usually happen. But right now I’m seeing as if I have my glasses or contacts on, and it’s just my Kareem goggles, which have no correction.

Kerry June 11, 2010 at 5:20 am

I’m glad it went well. I’m a little annoyed that they didn’t give you extra valium for your more squeamish readers, and I’m even more annoyed that you still look cute after having surgery. Would it have killed you to have ugly hair for one day?

anna June 11, 2010 at 6:39 am

Hey, now, this post is mostly free from EYEBALL talk.

always home and uncool June 11, 2010 at 7:00 am

But has your sky hook improved?

anna June 11, 2010 at 5:49 pm

It’s about as good as it was before surgery. Which is to say: non-existent.

beta dad June 11, 2010 at 8:55 am

The second pic of you looks like Lady Gaga.

anna June 11, 2010 at 5:50 pm

How DARE you, sir!

Ginger June 11, 2010 at 10:13 am

Ooh, stylish :-)

And yay for the success–it’s a whole new world when you can see it, yeah?

anna June 11, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Yes, cannot wait to be goggle free, though.

Denora June 11, 2010 at 11:47 am

I’m glad it went well! I’ve been wanting to get my eyes fixed for YEARS, but I can’t even watch myself put my contacts in, let alone be comfortable with lasers and whatever else getting near them. I’ll end up getting mine done when they can figure out how to put me to sleep first.

anna June 11, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Denora, that’s what I thought initially, too. I remember saying the exact thing to somebody. But it was way easier than I thought. It really was not a big deal at all. You really don’t have to do anything — just sit there. I was worried I would have to keep my eye open or watch some light, and they do tell you to do that but it’s not really essential. It’s way easier than you think it’s going to be. I also think it’s changed since the earlier days.

Mo June 11, 2010 at 11:54 am

The glasses have actually improved. When I had it done they had little cups that they poked holes into so you could sort of see, and then they taped them to your face. Trés Sexy.

It’s freaky when everything goes gray for a second. My heart skipped a beat or 12, but just as quickly as it happened it was okay.

anna June 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Mo, why did you get LASIK done in The Village by M. Night Shyamalan?

Jennifer June 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Exceedingly jealous, here with my minus 9 Coke bottles. And weird medical issues that make LASIK not an option for me.

So glad you took the plunge. Happy recovery. Oh wait…that was an unintended double entendre. ;-)

anna June 11, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Bummer LASIK’s not an option for you. My husband thought that but then he went back for another consult and he had his done last year. If you haven’t gone in a while, you might try again because the technology might have changed enough (who knows)?

Jennifer June 11, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Oh, and for the record, having just now read your last post? I’m *almost* in the “can’t discern colors without glasses” camp. It’s that bad. I would probably have to squint pretty hard to tell green from red at a traffic light. Except I’d cheat and know that green is on the bottom.

Barnmaven June 11, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Those are some humdinger-lookin’ glasses you’ve got there, missy.

Glad it went well.

anna June 11, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Thanks.

Steph June 12, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling well and it wasn’t as bad as you expected!! My aunt had LASIK a couple of years ago and raves about it. Thankfully I have decent vision and don’t have to worry about it! The surgery looks pretty scary to me!