29 Things That Happened And Or That I Found Out Last Weekend, In No Particular Order, Most Of Which Will Likely Be Elaborated Upon At Length Later, Once I’ve Had Some Sleep

by anna on February 22, 2010

1. I ate lunch at the same table as a Czar and the mayor of Martindale, Texas.
  2. Gabrielle Blair (Design Mom) is very funny and extremely smart. She’s somebody to watch if you’re looking for models of how to make money in the mommy blogosphere (I will elaborate on this later.) Also, she has pretty stuff on her website.
  3. Maggie Mason View definition in a new window (Mighty Girl) is partners in a business of some kind with either Laura Mayes or Carrie Pacini, or both. I know this because I overheard her tell Alice Bradley (Finslippy) that her placement on the 16th floor of the conference hotel (as opposed to the 6th floor, where Alice Bradley was staying) is “what happens when you’re business partners with the person who is organizing the conference.”
  4. Peculiarly, I was upgraded to a suite on the 18th floor, and am pretty sure I have no business ties to anybody involved in organizing the Mom 2.0 Summit View definition in a new window.
  5. Heather Armstrong View definition in a new window and Dooce are not always necessarily the same person/thing/entity.
  6. I know this is true is because, during the keynote panel Heather Armstrong View definition in a new window told the conference that people read blogs because they care about “the character [we, the bloggers, have] created,” as if to suggest that the person who writes the story is not exactly the same as the person who appears in the story, but nobody can be totally sure where this ‘character’ begins or ends from the outside.
  7. Strangely enough, this dovetails with the discovery of a Master’s Thesis about mommyblogging that is currently being discussed by mommybloggers (some of whom are discussed in the thesis itself) on Twitter under the hashtag #creepythesis. I am still reading the #creepythesis View definition in a new window and will look back on it later.
  8. The slippage between real person and person in media is not unlike what happens with reality TV, I suppose. Except bloggers get to edit themselves. Some people do it better than others, and some people do it more often than others. Some people need to do it more often in person.
  9. I have found this disconnect between the in-person person and the online person, generally speaking, to be true of most people whom I’ve met online and then met in person, both in blogging and during the time when I was online dating.
  10. The disconnect has as much to do with the expectations constructed by the reader as it does with the the writer.
  11. The disconnect is more pronounced in some people than in others, and almost unnoticeable in a rare few. An example of someone who is almost exactly who I thought she would be in person, based on reading her blog is, is Rebecca Woolf (Girls Gone Child).
  12. Alice Bradley also seems very much like her online persona, and is as funny in person as she is online. She also seems to be well-respected and liked by most everyone.
  13. Similarly, Laura Mayes is as nice and impressive in person as everyone says . She also really coveted my dress at the Mad Men party, but honestly? who can blame her?
  14. The same cannot be said for everybody in attendance this weekend.
  15. The ecosystem of mommy blogging is plagued by the same problems as is any other corporate structure: there are hidden alliances and unacknowledged rivalries, jealousies, petty disagreements.
  16. When considering these problems, I briefly debated whether I should write a book about all of them and title it, A Confederacy of Douches.
  17. The problem with that idea, though, is that — unlike most corporate environments — the mommy blogosphere is also filled with real loyalties and friendships. And it’s not always clear which alliances are real friendships and which are strategic.
  18. Because of this, you have to play your cards close to your chest when you are trying to figure these things out. You have to decide which is going to be your priority — making friends, or building a business. And then you must stick to that goal as much as you possibly can, even if it gets uncomfortable.
  19. You have to try to act with integrity View definition in a new window, even when it gets uncomfortable, or when other people fail to do likewise.
  20. Especially if you are trying to do something new, people may become uncomfortable with you and what they think you are, and/or what you think they might do to their community.
  21. That is OK, because you are not there to make friends (hat tip: Alisonofagun). You are there to get a picture of yourself with Heather Armstrong and a promotional HGTV bag.
  22. The best way to get things done is to walk in the face of your fear and go up to people — Heather Armstrong View definition in a new window, say — from whom you need information, acknowledge how awkward it is, that you and she have had your exchanges in the past, but assure her that you are not there to make things difficult for her. And then ask her for the information, even if you are kind of shaking while you are doing it.
  23. What happens when you do that, is that she is relieved that this is all you want, and you are so happy that you managed to conquer your own fear, that you end up smiling like an idiot in the picture you convince her to take with you.
  24. And that’s how you manage to walk away with the information, for example, that the HGTV show is 1) definitely a TV show, rather than a webisode or some other BS “convergence” thing like that (in this case, “convergence” just means that they want to hook into Dooce View definition in a new window’s web audience); 2) that, even if Heather Armstrong View definition in a new window can neither confirm nor deny that it is a reality show deal with HGTV (which in my mind means, yes, it’s a reality show, but I couldn’t get her to say yes or no), but that the nature of this show is “organic” and that “HGTV gets it,” that it is something that is likely to change and grow with her and her interests over time.
  25. I think Dooce View definition in a new window may have some kind of handler or PR person, either hired by herself or by HGTV. This is totally unsubstantiated conjecture based on somebody I saw talking to and with her this weekend, and I could be wrong.
  26. Blissfully Domestic, and/or Blissdom, and/or the Bliss Empire is starting an ad network.
  27. While Target does not have direct editorial control over the content of Momversation, they do have some input on the choice of topics and the choice of the bloggers originally chosen to participate. These decisions were made on the basis of traffic and ability to cover certain demographics such as race and marital status. Of course, we already knew this, but the suspicion was confirmed by Rob Morhaim, who produces Momversation.
  28. Sometimes you can tell somebody’s character by the smallest of actions, and even if you want to give somebody the benefit of the doubt, it pays to remember these instances. For example, some of the things I’ve witnessed recently that I’m noting for later: 1) cutting in front of a line of people waiting to get food or drinks at a function; 2) talking behind the backs of ostensible friends via direct message or other private conversation; 3) agreeing to plans and then flaking when a better offer comes along; 4) recoiling in horror instead of just facing fear; 5) letting the actions or attitudes of others be your only guiding principle in your perception of people’s worth. I am wary of doing business with people who engage in those behaviors.
  29. If you’re ever at a conference and they’re giving away toys that you just know your 2 year old is going to love, resist the urge to show him the toy on Skype when you’re still away from home, because he will want the toy right then, and might wake up in the middle of the night screaming for the toy, and this tends to make your spouse — who has been left home alone with the two year old — a little frustrated.

Got a list to share? Here’s what to do:

1. Write a “list” post on your blog.
  2. Copy this code, and paste in the text of your post:
  3. Either comment or email me at anna at abdpbt View definition in a new window dot com to let me know you’re participating, and I’ll link you up below.

Check out these list lovers:

1. Tim at Safer By Choice
  2. Alexis at The Well-Read Mom
  3. Elizabeth at Half Baked, Twice As Good
  4. Heidi at The Maxwell’s Madness
  5. Katrina at Kit Kats Knits
  6. Ginger at Ramble Ramble
  7. Adrienne at The Skinny Fight

Adrienne February 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I love the Bloggess. I’d probably be hiding in the bathroom with her. I’m hoping to go to a conference in the fall and you seem to touch on some things I’m worried about. Cliques and politics. I’d be going to learn not to party. Oh…and you not fat. It was just a big shirt.

I participated you can click on my name. It’ll take you to the post.

Tim G February 22, 2010 at 4:39 am

Wow, sounds like that was some weekend. I listen to several technical podcasts after having followed the personalities in their blogs. Some of the hosts off very different than I would have gotten from their writing. And then some, Leo Laporte for example, seem as genuine as can be. So some of what you saw doesn’t surprise me. There are people out there hoping to find an audience that will resonate with what they want to deliver, and then there are those trying to appeal to a particular audience, because that’s where the opportunity is. In either path, we re-invent ourselves a little, because that’s what happens if you are learning. When it becomes disingenuous, then you are moving too far away from your true self.
OK, 15, 17, 19 are pretty interesting to me. I work in a positive corporate environment, so 17 is one of the reasons I have worked there so long. Genuine friendships and partnerships. I have learned extensively from the people I work with who generously shared their knowledge and talents.
If you can’t follow 19, you either won’t make it or won’t make it for long.
My list is up!

anna February 22, 2010 at 7:30 am

I think that it’s not even always a desire to come across differently, it’s something that operates at an unconscious level. Using myself as an example, I am pretty close to my online entity, I think, but I’m more outspoken online. In real life, I think the things I say online, and sometimes I force myself to be more outspoken in person.

Kerry February 22, 2010 at 5:15 am

Oh. That was delicious.

This is like the first episode of a new season of Mad Men. The episode was great, but what’s even better is knowing that more is coming.

And my brain is a little bored lately, so some insightful business-of-blogging analysis to chew on is going to be more of the delicious. I have to make sure I have plenty of Diet Coke to go with that.

anna February 22, 2010 at 7:39 am

I’m a little overwhelmed with how much information I got in three days. It’s kind of crazy. I was carrying a moleskin notebook around, writing notes, because I didn’t want people to be able to see things on my computer screen. I’m so ridiculous.

Alexis February 22, 2010 at 5:38 am

So excited to hear all about it! I always imagine that these blogger get togethers were like the one Girl Scout meeting I ever attended. All nice and business-like with people playing relatively polite, but really, lets face it, “cookies” are serious effing business! With that said I am green with envy that you got to go and I look forward to all your analysis.

My list is up.

anna February 22, 2010 at 7:40 am

That’s a good analogy, actually . . . it’s kind of like, well, we didn’t start this deal to make money but now it’s making money, so how do we negotiate that shift? Some people are better than others at doing it.

Michele February 22, 2010 at 5:38 am

Goodness! You crammed a lot into a weekend in Houston. Tons more than I did. I didn’t even wash the dog.

anna February 22, 2010 at 7:40 am

I also never made it outside of the hotel, though, so there’s that.

eliz February 22, 2010 at 6:13 am

I suspected you’d come back with some really meaty stuff for us to chew on about the nature and future of blogging. Perhaps it’s because of the high ticket price of this particular conference – at that price point, it was only going to attract the truly serious long-term bloggers, bloggers who quite frequently have their hand in some other venture. So would you say you got good ROI on this conference?

anna February 22, 2010 at 7:42 am

Absolutely. If you can go to only one conference, you should go to this one, provided you’re interested in the business angle. To be fair, I haven’t been to all of the conferences yet, but I think this is the most concentrated, most applied gathering of bloggers-with-a-purpose the whole year. I will see how it compares to #sxsw.

eliz February 22, 2010 at 6:16 am

Something else I’m wondering – did you go to observe and report on the blogging landscape or are you interested in conversations with marketers? Just curious.

anna February 22, 2010 at 7:45 am

Both. I have kind of an unusual position here because my business is writing about the business of blogging. Also, I’m a blogger. So, while the particular brands represented at the conference (Pepperidge Farm, Hot Wheels, Volkswagen, Mission foods, etc.) are not necessarily brands that fit my audience, I was interested in seeing how other bloggers are interacting with brands and how I can take guidance from that. I’ll be writing about this stuff a lot over the coming weeks because there was so much powerful information shared, stuff that all of us can take action on, like TODAY, to monetize, if we know how to go about it. It was really exciting.

But yeah, I also viewed myself like an embedded reporter of sorts, too. Kind of weird.

beth aka confusedhomemaker February 22, 2010 at 6:32 am

I’m interested in reading more, very interesting about the “character” part I’ve often wondered that about the people I’m reading. How much is unfiltered? How much is crafted? Impression management at it’s finest.

I’d love to also read how it was different going to this versus Blogher. It felt like reading the tweets & info coming out of this, that it was very different, but maybe that’s because it was smaller (in terms of overall attendance?).

anna February 22, 2010 at 7:51 am

It is very different from BlogHer. I would describe it this way: BlogHer is filled with everybody — the bloggers, the fans, the fans who also blog, the people who want to build businesses, the people who just want to see their friends. Mom 2.0 only has hardcore people who are monetizing or who want to monetize their blogs, who already have followings or who are aggressively building their followings. There are far fewer organized social events, and people actually wear business casual during the day (not everyone, but definitely a good number). At BlogHer, there is a lot of fluff, which is fine if you just want to go and have a good time, but that’s not the priority at Mom 2.0.

Deb on the Rocks February 22, 2010 at 7:27 am

I’ve been noticing the trend toward talking more about the personas of blog characters as well, which is somewhat counter to the “transparent and authentic” discussions that dominated last year when the FTC regulations were the hot discussion. Could be attributed to the changing role of monetization, to the new PR vocabularies that people are adopting to try to work within that model, and to the use of Twitter, which some people use as a micro blog platform and others use as a staff room for bloggers, sometimes revealing a different persona. I think it is a part of the evolution of the mommybloggosphere as well, because I see a number of mothers who blogged their children’s early years now, five or so years later, grappling with how to frame what they said and why, which is understandable.

Looks like a hugely beneficial professional development opportunity. Thanks for sharing your info and insights. I would congratulate you on scoring the HGTV swag but I’m too jealous. Well, Deb is, Deb on the Rocks isn’t, but it’s only a matter of time, as she’s very influenced by Deb’s petty feelings.

anna February 22, 2010 at 7:56 am

Deb, yes, I definitely got the impression that part of the “character” stuff comes out of the passing of time. If you build your brand — a huge brand — from a certain point in your life, and then ten years go by, and you change, you are kind of stuck. Because now that’s your brand, but if you change too much, you might lose people. I think that has something to do with it.

It also could be a strategic reframing at the behest of somebody, because like I said, I think there is a PR company involved now, at least in the case of Dooce/Heather Armstrong (again, not substantiated). But I can only go by my impressions from this conference. At this conference, and in dealing with me, Heather Armstrong is not the same person of the Rough Day, Hugs! Dooce. But then, maybe I’m not the same as the person who baited her into saying that?

I am so confused. I’m going to go have a conference with @abdpbt and see what she has to say. Then I might go to psychotherapy.

Maria February 22, 2010 at 8:12 am

That whole disconnect issue was so JARRING for me. But good to come face to face with. But jarring.

Also, you’re gorgeous and I enjoyed sharing an elevator with you and sitting at the bad kid’s table. I hope we can spend more meaningful time together next time. When I’m not hiding in a hotel room after 7 pm each night.

anna February 22, 2010 at 10:01 am

Yes, we both were suffering from major real people interaction overload! I pretty much hid in my hotel room after the sessions as well, because it’s very overwhelming. It was too bad, because I would have liked to have spent more time with some of the people I met (you, for example) but I was exhausted after each day’s events.

Elizabeth February 22, 2010 at 8:16 am

I read the #creepythesis, and plan to be the 7,954th person to post about it. Also, is Heather Armstrong wearing “jeggings” in that picture? Because HGTV needs to fix that wardrobe before she gets “real” on TV.

And I should note for the record that I am, on occasion, one of those people that accidentally on purpose cuts to the front of the drink line. Just in case we ever run into each other at a conference, I apologize ahead of time.

List up.

anna February 22, 2010 at 10:05 am

Well, I have to say that what she was wearing, while not my taste, was something that wasn’t out of line with what I see around town here. I don’t know that they were jeggings, but they were tight fitting, punk rock kind of jeans for sure. You know, I have to admire somebody who dresses so dramatically, though. I don’t wear stuff that calls attention to myself, and if I wear something new or brighter or whatever than I am used to, I usually feel so self conscious. I was kind of intrigued that she chose that outfit for the day of her keynote.

Jennie February 22, 2010 at 8:41 am

“the mommy blogosphere is also filled with real loyalties and friendships. And it’s not always clear which alliances are real friendships and which are strategic”

This is such a great thing to acknowledge. So many online writers want to deny strategic relationships (masked as genuine friendship) exist. It’s OK to have a working relationship with someone online that you don’t particularly feel true fondness for outside of work, and it’s certainly OK to admit that (without naming names even).

You’re inspired me to go next year, actually, so thanks for your straight-forwardness.

anna February 22, 2010 at 10:08 am

Yes, it’s a business and because it started out as friendships first, it’s a little delicate to make these kinds of observations. Since I came at it a little bit later and don’t have the same relationships, it’s easier for me to say it than it might be for other people.

I do think it’s OK to have strategic relationships, by the way. I think it’s just something you need to be aware of when you approach the community, because you can get your feelings hurt or just be at a severe disadvantage if you don’t understand it.

You should definitely go. I will be going for sure, and it’s in New Orleans next time.

faydean February 22, 2010 at 9:18 am

Wow on the scoop on Dooce reality show. I have a very BAD feeling about this…I think she is making a big mistake, for her family I mean. It’s one thing to blog a bit here and there about your life…one thing to even be famous for it with millions of followers. But there is still a barrier in place to keep your personal life somewhat, well, personal.

Reality series? Um, not so much. There are children involved. That makes if very unappealing for me, especially after falling for the whole Jon and Kate thing and seeing how horribly bad that ended up. Besides, I’m not a fan of her husband at all…I couldn’t possibly watch him on a tv show, lol.

Sidenote: If HGTV goes the way of reality shows instead of decorating it will go the way of the dinosaurs, which is sad. I used to love it but now it’s 90 percent real estate shows. And I hate that word “organic” to describe someone’s reality show. It’s very obnoxious (not you writing it, but just the term…so very upscale urban hipster lingo).

anna February 22, 2010 at 10:12 am

Well, remember she didn’t confirm or deny it, and I’m extrapolating. But I think, yes, it’s going to be something like her blog, where it changes over time and one day they’re going to do some kind of remodeling thing or some design thing, and other times they’ll do whatever else. It will be like Dooce the blog, only on TV, I think. But yes, with the new media, there are all kinds of things that will come into play. I wished I had gotten a chance to ask if she has editorial control, but I suppose we’ll find that out soon enough.

I’m not sure I like the word “organic” in this context, either, but I think I know why she used it. This show isn’t going to be, strictly speaking, the same kind of thing as Jon & Kate Plus 8. They are going to deal with watching her as a personality, a businesswoman, an entrepreneur, and a designer, etc. They are not just going to film her day-to-day life, like they did with Jon & Kate. Jon & Kate was all about surviving with 8 young kids. This is about a whole life and lifestyle, I think.

Becky February 22, 2010 at 9:23 am

Lots of interesting stuff here! Can’t wait to read more as you process. I’ve really enjoyed watching you figure out your niche of “blogging about the business of blogging.” I do think of you as an embed!

I just glanced at that Master’s thesis and it looks like kind of a hot mess, IMHO.

anna February 22, 2010 at 10:14 am

Thanks. I’m fortunate that my readership is very smart and savvy and many of them have helped to guide me in these kinds of situations. A lot of the times, I just do what I feel like doing, and then I have to step back and figure out what it means for me “as a brand.” Many of you guys have helped me so much in figuring this stuff out, not to mention moral support over the weekend when I was kind of flipping out for a while (you know who you are).

Julie @ The Mom Slant February 22, 2010 at 11:51 am

I’ve no idea if you perceived a disconnect between the online me and the in-person me – to me, I’m just ME – but I want you to know I genuinely enjoyed chatting with you.

anna February 22, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Julie, I really, genuinely enjoyed talking with you, too. In your case, I did not have a bunch of preconceived notions about you before meeting you at the conference, so there was no real disconnect. By the way, when I say “disconnect” I’m not blaming bloggers, and I’m including myself in the mix, because as I said, it’s something about the medium itself that leads to this. I met my husband through online dating, and when I went on dates I ran into this problem over and over again — the person is almost always different from (sometimes “better,” sometimes “worse,” sometimes neutral, but never exactly the same as) what you thought they’d be ahead of time.

Susan Tiner February 22, 2010 at 11:52 am

Talk about being confused, I need psychotherapy to figure out why I am glued to this blog! Seriously, I read a few select personal finance and political blogs (found this blog via a personal finance blog), don’t watch TV, have two grown children so don’t really identify with the mommy blogging scene, yet check this blog every day, soaking up the “business of blogging” content like a total immersion, marathon graduate course in what’s going on even as it changes at lightening speed. Not sure why I got on, but thanks for the ride!

anna February 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

lol. I think we’re all a little confused. I know I feel like there’s so much stuff to write about, I almost don’t know where to start.

LC February 22, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I wonder if some of the mommybloggers (ugh, hate that phrase) consider it rude to examine the business side of blogs….e.g. they want to be seen as passionate writers in search of authenticity (or whatever) that happen to draw an audience and so therefore also happen to draw an income.

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the divide between crafted character versus real person. I find that blurring of the line very interesting because I think a lot of the audience wants to believe that the character is the real person and that audience demographics shift the more evidence to the contrary there is on that score. On that front, I think twitter often hurts bloggers in that people tweet before they think. Dooce’s twitter tirades really made me reevaluate her blog as a whole and come to a very different conclusion about how authentic her writing was.

anna February 22, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I know a lot of people have a problem with the term “mommy blogging,” but I actually don’t. I think it’s the kind of thing where, if you’re reacting so badly to it, maybe you need to analyze why you despise it so much. I mean, yes, “Mommy” casts a kind of unimportant, childish aspect to it all, but by reacting to the term “Mommy” so violently, aren’t you in fact reinforcing the idea that being a “Mommy” is unimportant, mundane, and insignificant? Besides, I like to reclaim terms like the gay movement in these kinds of situations, I think it’s more effective than railing against the stupid term itself, which just makes us look like hairsplitters.

Sorry about the rant.

I absolutely believe that there are some people who consider it rude or declasse that I would write about a business side to blogs. People are OK with there being a business side at this point, but there’s still a desire to appear as if it all happened by accident, and that they’re just acknowledging it, rather than making things happen. Based on this weekend, I would say that most of these people are making these things happen for themselves, rather than just sitting back passively and hoping PR people come to them. But I’m not sure they want their audiences to know that, so me writing about it might make them uncomfortable.

Twitter is tough. It really is, because when you start out, you’ve got a few followers who are your base, and then it grows, and then you don’t realize the impact something you say might have. For example, I kept tweeting back and forth with the hotel this weekend about the internet connection, etc., and at one point a follower said that I should stop bragging about staying in the Four Seasons already. And I was like, “What? It’s the conference hotel?” but not everybody who follows me on Twitter reads my blog, maybe they just thought I was trying to tell you all that HEY LOOK AT ME, I’M STAYING AT THE FOUR SEASONS, NANNY NANNY!”

Twitter can be dangerous.

Kerry February 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm

It drives me in-freakin-sane that people act like there’s something wrong with talking about the fact that blogging is, for many people, a business. If you talk to people at high levels in any company, they’ll tell you that you need to understand your business, your competitors, and your marketplace. If you don’t, you aren’t in business for long.

Men never apologize for treating their businesses as such. Why do we? I wish successful bloggers would OWN their success. Don’t act like it was an accident. You earned that top spot. Own it.

That fake demure crap does a LOT more to harm blogges than the term “mommyblogger.”

anna February 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I totally agree. It’s far more problematic to have this sort of “Oops, I never meant to make money, but there it is!” act than it is to call yourself a mommyblogger. That’s kind of why I use it, I think. In a kind of stick-it-to-you kind of way, I guess.

Kerry, some people were getting close to owning this kind of stuff at the conference, and that’s why it was kind of exciting. Like, maybe they don’t do it on their blogs or in a context where EVERYONE can see, but they did do it here, a little bit. So I was happy about that, because it was like, “Oh, there ARE smart people in this community, who are thinking on several different levels at once, even if they don’t always talk about it publicly.” Then, on the flip side, there were some people who were clearly looking at the business angle all the time, but who failed to see the many different layers of problems that can occur from the kind of marketing they were endorsing. I’ll talk about them, too.

LC February 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Point well taken about the term “mommyblogger”. It’s the mommy in it that bugs – I prefer mama in respect to mothering, which is as you say, splitting hairs. I do agree that reclaiming the term is important with respect to honoring the important work of mothering but I find it odd that it puts fathers-who-blog into a category that by definition they are excluded from….I don’t know. I’m splitting hairs again. If only there was a market for being pedantic.

I wonder if the reason mommybloggers demure about their success may be because of the content (their life stories) not just gender. It’s hard to say because there aren’t many male life-bloggers to draw inferences from – do they demure about their “art” or do are they upfront with how they drive the success of their blogs?

anna February 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I don’t know about male life-bloggers who are really successful. I guess Ze Frank might be one, and I don’t think he does that, no. Now, Daddy bloggers are another interesting topic, because what I have noticed with them is that in this context, they tend to be trotted about like arm candy, like there is always a particular daddy blogger who is kind of the IT Daddy blogger, and he’ll get a huge readership almost over night, and then at some point, he’ll get ditched and fall into the background. It’s almost like the reverse of what happens to starlets in Hollywood: it’s easier to stand out, initially, as a Daddy Blogger, just by virtue of the fact that you ARE a Daddy blogger, but the long term success seems even more difficult to get.

I’m thinking all the Daddy Bloggers are going to hate me now. Oh well.

Jenni February 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm

laughing my ass off @ confederacy of douches.

can’t wait to hear more.

anna February 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Yes, that title occurred to me on the plane yesterday, and I feel like somebody has to write that book. I’m sure it can apply to just about any industry.

KitKatsKnits February 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm

My list is finally up.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with number 19. I just wish that it would happen more in real life too.

anna February 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Me too!

Heidi February 22, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Love it. Especially the ‘douches’. Can’t wait to hear more.

And I’m listed up.

Ginger February 22, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I love to read your takes on the business of blogging. I tend to agree with your thoughts, but it’s always refreshing to see someone in the community look to it with a critical eye.

My list is up.

lynn @ human, being February 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I love this list. And especially #19. #19 is the only way to live life, not just how to blog.

I admire women bloggers — mommybloggers or not — who are able to make money or even earn a living writing online. To me, you’re a freelance writer, a columnist. Instead of being paid by a client or a newspaper, you get paid by your sponsors. To hide that fact does a serious disservice to other bloggers and to women bloggers in particular.

The truth about blogging is that to keep it up takes energy and stamina. Most blogs disappear quickly, and the ones that make it, like yours & others (and hopefully, mine) do so because they are well written, interesting, compelling, inspirational, funny, useful.

No list for me this week.

Amanda February 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I cannot believe that I am just finding you.

anna February 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Yeah, where the hell have you been?

Amanda February 23, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Discovering Ace of Base.

anna February 23, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’m fighting the urge to make a joke based on lyrics right now. Just so you know.

OHmommy February 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm

One thing that makes me smile, at conferences or real life, is when people say “You are just like your blog.” I am totally a mommy blogger and after four years I am owning up to it. I recently “came out” at a dinner party surrounded by some of Cleveland’s biggest business men. They were simply amazed that a “mommy blogger” had google search words that were on the front page. They said,

“Impressive.”

I think so too.

anna February 23, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Well, it might not seem like serious business from the outside, but it sure is.

Kate@And Then I Was a Mom February 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Thank you for that list. As a fairly new blogger, and as part of the great unwashed Conference Uninitiated, it’s nice to have (trust) an insider’s take.

anna February 23, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Conferences seem scary before you go, but they get easier. And, believe it or not, that CAN be fun as well.