Breakin’ 2 1/2: Electric Mini-Moo

by anna on December 30, 2009

Mini’s preschool teacher asked us where Mini had learned to break dance, but the thing is, breakers aren’t so much taught as they are born.

Now, that’s not to say that you just wake up one day and decide to go show off your cool tricks on Yo Gabba Gabba.

No, breaking — if you want to do it right — takes a lot of time and practice.

You have to be ready to make the sacrifices when you’re a breaker.

When you’re a breaker, you have to make tough decisions.

Other kids will come up to you and be like, “Relax, dude, the bridge is just the path to the slide. It’s not a metaphor for life.” But you have to learn how to tune them out.

Because they don’t know what it takes to be great. They don’t know what it takes to break.

No, we didn’t teach Mini to break dance: he was born a breaker.

Kerry December 30, 2009 at 5:50 am

I’m totally saving these photos so I can sell them to TMZ when he goes on So You Think You Can Dance.

beth aka confusedhomemaker December 30, 2009 at 8:58 am

My 2nd is a born breaker, anywhere & any place. I also had an odd and unhealthy love for the Breakin’ series.

Chelsea December 30, 2009 at 3:53 pm

My cousin pretty much break dances at every family function. However, he calls it “hand dancing”. So, for example, when we are all singing Silent Night on Christmas Eve, Gavin is “hand dancing” along to the tune (he’s 5).

anna December 30, 2009 at 5:49 pm

@kerry, it would not surprise me. This kid is definitely convinced he’s supposed to be a star.

anna December 30, 2009 at 5:50 pm

@Beth, I actually never saw the breakin’ series, but to this day break dancing cracks me up every time I see it. With Mini, it started after watching “Cool Tricks” on Yo Gabba Gabba.

anna December 30, 2009 at 5:51 pm

@Chelsea, hand dancing is kind of a catchy rebranding of breaking actually!

Maureen@IslandRoar December 31, 2009 at 12:17 pm

If it was, like, 100 years ago, do you think you would’ve thought he was born a flapper? Or say, a do-si-doer? I see that clearly he is a born breaker, but how do the genes know it’s TIME??
I have a cat that loves my computer, obsessed with it. And I think, 50 years ago would she have loved my typewriter? Or my inkwell 150 years ago??
Okay, I’ll stop now. Your son is clearly adorable.

Dana December 31, 2009 at 5:35 pm

He is so adorable! And boy can he break it down!

anna December 31, 2009 at 6:51 pm

@maureen, that’s a good question. Maybe there would have been some other kind of skill that he would have been particularly well-suited for? I’m not sure. But also, back then he’d have no “cool tricks” section to try to emulate, either.

anna December 31, 2009 at 6:52 pm

@dana, thanks! We’ve decided to keep him. :)

eliz January 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm

The kid is as talented as he is adorable. But that new masthead? Brilliant. YOU’LL be #26 in no time.

Kerry January 1, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Oh my god.

Best masthead ever.

I know I said that with the Boon one, but this time I really mean it.

anna January 2, 2010 at 8:09 am