Internet, This Is Edie; Edie, This Is The Internet

by anna on December 23, 2009

OK, before you say anything — no, we had not planned on getting another cat so soon. But Coast, our sole remaining cat, has been very sad and lonely since Ryan left us. After listening to him cry eighty bazillion times and indulging the 300% increase in snuggles he’s required lately, we ultimately decided that Coast, even at 14, would much prefer the annoyance of having a kitten around than he would savor living out the rest of his days with the dubious honor of being the last cat standing. So, we’ve been looking around for two new cats, and hoping to find a breed that is known for being good with kids. Enter Edie.

I know — I know! She totally belongs on a poster that says “Hang in there!”, right?

Edie is almost 12 weeks old and hails from a long line of champion Maine Coon show cats. Maine Coons are a rather large breed that is very interested in humans and pretty tolerant, generally speaking, of annoying toddlers wanting to pet them. When we went to visit Edie and her litter, Edie’s Mom was there watching over us. Here she is posing in front of her various cat trophies. As far as I can tell, these trophies are awarded to cats who prove to be particularly exemplary in their cat-ness.

Incidentally, this is the first time we have adopted a purebred cat — all of our cats have been rescue up until this point, and it is a different experience for sure. With Ryan, I took her home from the Humane Society when she was malnourished, tiny, and covered with fleas. Edie won’t be permitted to leave her litter until next week, after her second round of shots, and when enough cat socialization has taken place so that she can grow up to be a productive member of cat society (I guess). This is the kind of stuff they do to promote cat development — attack Mini’s “Baby Tie-guerre” that he brought with him:

There aren’t any boys available from Edie’s litter, so we’ll have to wait to get the boy we plan to adopt from the breeder’s next litter. I am determined that we should name said boy Andy, whether he shows a proclivity for pop art or not, but Mr. Right-Click is not going for it. Maybe with enough internet pressure he will start to see that having a pair of glamorous cats named Edie and Andy is a super cool, retro but forward-thinking kind of thing to do, but I doubt it, because he likes to give animals crazy names, like Coast, or Magic, or Cheremoya. I like to name pets human names that you don’t hear all that often. We thought we could compromise by having Mini name the cat, but all he would say was that the cat should be named “Baby Cat,” and I simply refuse to name the cat “Baby Cat.” So, we worked out a deal that I would name the girl and Mr. Right-Click would name the boy. Mr. Right-Click is not too excited about “Edie,” but he considers it an improvement over my past pet names because for the first time, it is gender appropriate — in the past, I have named girl animals with names that are unisex but more common for boys, except in the case of Sidney, my golden retriever, whose name became insanely popular for little girls after the Summer Olympics in Sydney in 2000.

So basically, what’s probably going to happen is we’ll have a pair of cats, Edie and Isthmus (or something), and secretly, I’ll refer to them as Edie and Andy, and secretly, he’ll refer to them as Isthmus and River Delta, and around each other we’ll begrudgingly accept the other person’s naming choice. And the cats will do what pets have done since the beginning of time, viz. accept that they have eleventy billion names, because humans might be weird, but they’re the ones with the food.

Maureen@IslandRoar December 23, 2009 at 6:45 am

What an adorable little face that Edie has!
I’ve got 5 cats (the last one was really a gift companion for the dog so I wouldn’t have to get another dog), and they really don’t like being alone.
I hear great things about Maine Coon cats; can’t wait to hear your experience…

beth aka confusedhomemaker December 23, 2009 at 6:53 am

Definitely a poster picture, I can just picture that face in a cubicle somewhere or conference room cheering people on. Cute.

eliz December 23, 2009 at 8:01 am

My mother was thisclose to picking up a kitten as a Christmas gift for Tink but I think I’ve talked her out of it. Not because of I’m not much of animal person (a trait I know I have to get over) but because I don’t think a pet is an appropriate Christmas gift. I guess this gives me more time to research kid-friendly breeds. Rather, child-full-of-burning-desire-for-a-sibling-who-will-settle-for-molesting-a-kitty -friendly breed.

anna December 23, 2009 at 8:22 am

@maureen, wow 5 cats! I thought we had a lot when we had 3, but they’re kind of hard to resist!

anna December 23, 2009 at 8:23 am

@beth, yes she’s got that kind of “when life gives you lemons” kind of face

Kerry December 23, 2009 at 8:25 am

Awww. She’s a cutie.

I’m so proud that I got the “Edie and Andy” joke without googling.

Her mom looks like a cat mommyblogger. She just has that “number 26 bitches” look in her eye. Are you sure she’s not about to talk smack (meow smack?) about Sephora?

anna December 23, 2009 at 8:25 am

@Eliz, it’s tough to give an animal as a gift, because it’s so much of a responsibility, etc. Re breeds that are good for kids, I think Burmese and Maine Coons are supposed to be the best. Most cats would be OK, as long as the kid doesn’t do a lot of running and shrieking, as mine does. The cat we have now just runs away when he sees Mini coming, so we wanted to find a younger cat who would be more likely to play with him.

anna December 23, 2009 at 8:28 am

@Kerry, you’re right, Edie’s mom looks like she might just be a representative for Suave. Mr Right-Click does not want me to name her Edie AT ALL. I told him I’ve now told the Internet that this is her name, so what am I supposed to do? He says there is some more famous Edie than Edie Sedgwick, and besides, Edie Sedgwick was the “Paris Hilton of her day,” which I resent. I like the Edie name because it’s like a glamorous little thing kind of name, which is what she is.

Alias Mother December 23, 2009 at 8:33 am

I know a family with two Maine Coons. They are a bit stand-offish in a “Yes, we are far better-looking than you” kind of way, but they are indeed very tolerant of the household toddler. They are also the size of a medium dog. Seriously, they are like lynx stalking through the house. But beautiful!

Mary Anna December 23, 2009 at 8:40 am

Oh. My. Gawd. She is beautiful! My Mini v. 2.0 was totally smitten until he saw a roll of wrapping paper in the corner. (And, my kitty is named Max, which is short for Maxine Louise. We also call her Lou Lou, Maxie Lou, Maxie Cat, Kitty Girl, Girlie Girl, Girlie Girlie, Baby Girl ….)

anna December 23, 2009 at 9:56 am

@AliasMother, yes, they are HUGE. Especially the boys. It’s kind of a compromise, since I am more of a dog person than a cat person (don’t tell Edie this). But these cats are damn BIG.

anna December 23, 2009 at 9:56 am

@Mary Anna, yes they adapt pretty well to all the various names we give them, the saints. :)

Ginger December 23, 2009 at 10:31 am

Oh what a cutie she is–very much poster appropriate!

Susan Tiner December 23, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Adorable. You won’t be the first family I’ve heard in which every member names the kitty a different name. And you all are way more creative–we named our Gray tabby “Gray” and our brown tabby “Brownie.” One of my girlfriends asked “what did you name your children?”