Peacocks In Arcadia

by anna on December 16, 2009

Sometimes you’ll be driving around Arcadia, over by the Santa Anita racetrack, when you run into a bunch of peacocks hanging out on some dude’s lawn.

And, yeah — It’s kind of weird at first, because how did they get there? And you’re like, “Wait — peacocks can fly?! How did I miss this?”

But then somehow you’ll start getting used to the idea of peacocks hanging out in a suburban neighborhood. You’ll start thinking that peacocks are really just like us.

You’ll see that they dread the obligatory social obligations of the holidays, too.

And that they’ll miss the days of lounging over the newspaper with a cup of coffee once print media is completely dead, too.

And that, just like us, they quickly tire of bizarre and intricate mating rituals that seem archaic to the outside observer.

That sometimes, even peacocks just want to be alone.

But the thing is, you cannot get too close to the peacocks, because they’re not just like us, no matter what you think.

Peacocks are nasty fuckers.

They will hard-charge your car.

I’m telling you: those bastards will take off a finger just for “looking at [them] funny.”

Yeah. When you see peacocks in Arcadia, it’s probably best to just keep on driving.

Kerry December 16, 2009 at 6:26 am

This is that thing where you have a good camera with you at all times, I think.

I wonder how they got there…

anna December 16, 2009 at 8:09 am

@Kerry, the Huntington Library is in that area, and they have peacocks in their gardens. They decide to leave sometimes, and since there’s an arboretum in that neighborhood, they sometimes go over there I guess. I once found a peacock walking around in my driveway, actually, but apparently this spot over in Arcadia is much more popular.

Jenni December 16, 2009 at 8:17 am

How bizarre. I think I’d be scared to come out of the house if they were on my lawn and outnumbering me like that. Peacocks are big effing birds.

Perpetua December 16, 2009 at 8:33 am

You know, they say Flannery O’Connor was a really sweet girl until she up and got those peacocks. That’s what turned her bitter, not her years-long battle with god, lupus, and the South. ;)

Monica December 16, 2009 at 8:41 am

Hi Perp, Thanks for this info. I had often wondred about Flan.

Monica December 16, 2009 at 8:42 am

missing “e” here.

anna December 16, 2009 at 11:16 am

@Jenni, yeah, they’re big, and I would imagine they leave poop behind. That must be why one of the houses had a huge fence set up, though it didn’t appear to be very effective in keeping them out.

anna December 16, 2009 at 11:17 am

@Perpetua, LOL!

anna December 16, 2009 at 11:17 am

: )

home and uncool December 16, 2009 at 1:53 pm

With God as my witness, I thought only turkey could fly.

beth aka confusedhomemaker December 16, 2009 at 5:54 pm

We have a ton at the local zoo that just wander around and visit. My kids usually want to try to get too close to them for my comfort or the peacocks. Strange seeing them out and about in a local residential area.

patois December 17, 2009 at 7:30 am

We’ve got those creatures near us. Loud. So loud. Give me some plastic flamingos anytime. (Flamingos? Flamingoes?)

monkey December 31, 2009 at 3:38 pm

This is the post that I actually wanted to delurk on-not one filled with so much negativity. I live in Pasadena, down the street from Caltech, and I actually ran into this same scene in March and was wondering WTF was going on with the peacocks. Where do they come from? I’m pretty certain that dude doesn’t own that flock as I have spotted them in random locations in Pasadena.

PS (and this is a reference to an older post of yours)-there’s another Anastasia trained eyebrow plucker who opened this chi-chi “waxing only specialty salon” in Pasadena’s Old Town. I actually tried it once and the truth is that it cost me parking and she didn’t do any better a job than my regular eye brow waxist (who works at another admittedly chi chi/edgy Pasadena salon). But that’s Southern California for you-the beauty services industry here is pretty talented overall. I am going to miss it when I leave.

anna December 31, 2009 at 6:55 pm

@monkey, somebody told me they’re from the Huntington Gardens, and they decide to leave every once in a while. I don’t know how they pick the various places to relocate to, though. It’s strange. What’s the waxing only place in Pasadena? I still go to Beverly Hills because for me it’s more about the tinting than anything else — there are very few places that know how to do it without making me look like a Captain Morgan ad.