17 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Hitting “Publish”

by anna on November 16, 2009

Tell me, magic 8 ball, does my readership enjoy animal cruelty?

1. Is it appropriate to breastfeed someone else’s child, barring the threat of starvation or other live-threatening circumstances?
  2. Is feeding my dog 6 Ambien wrapped in a piece of raw steak legal in my state?
  3. What about federal laws? Are there any federal laws about animal cruelty I should consider?
  4. How do my readers feel about animal cruelty?
  5. How do my readers feel about moral niceties like “right” and “wrong” and “just plain old fucked up”?
  6. Is talking about killing my dog the best way to handle a dispute with my husband?
  7. Is having my husband, such as he is, defend me on his own blog, the best approach to fixing things up?
  8. Is a reference to a “smudge” created by my father’s dead body the best way to memorialize him on the internet?
  9. Were there security cameras present that might confirm/deny my baby-stealing story?
  10. Do I really need all of those periods? Would a sane person pause that often in the course of normal conversation?
  11. What about the paragraph breaks? Can I say the same thing, but in a less breathlessly dramatic manner?
  12. Did I actually write this? Or did I copy and paste it from somebody else’s website — you know, somebody who actually can write?
  13. Is it possible that somebody will fact-check my sick baby story and realize I’ve been posting pictures of a doll all this time?
  14. When I typed “loose,” did I really mean “lose”? Do I know how to spell “lose,” or “loose”? What about usage? Am I clear on which goes where?
  15. Is the drama of a child given up for adoption my story to tell — given that I’m not the child, nor the mother of the child?
  16. Is my new love relationship strong enough to bear the weight of internet scrutiny, after three weeks of dating?
  17. Am I clear on the difference between “accept” and “except”? What about “affect” and “effect”? Have I thought about other ways of expressing myself, perhaps art forms that require less trials of spelling?

Check out these list lovers:

1. 5 Things The NBA Can Teach Us About Business 2.0 | ABDPBT Personal Finance
  2. 5 Offbeat RSS Feed Icons You Can Use On Your Blog | ABDPBT Tech
  3. Kerry at Clue Wagon
  4. Tim at SaferByChoice
  5. Ginger at Ramble Ramble

Charm November 16, 2009 at 1:51 am

I must be behind on my dodgy bloggers gossip! i only know who a few of these refer to! i’ll have to do some serious googling to work out the rest :)

great list!

Tim G November 16, 2009 at 6:23 am

I ask myself some of these questions when I read your posts too. Plus these: Does she really write like this? Does she really THINK like this? How many of these should I understand before I declare myself just not hiep enough to keep up?

Maybe I’ll research them later….

My list is up.

Kerry November 16, 2009 at 6:29 am

I’m so proud. I got almost every reference there. Clearly I’m spending my free time in the best possible way–staying current on blogosphere drama.

On the animal cruelty one though…I heard about that, but I didn’t go try to find the post in question. I can’t wrap my brain around that one and I don’t want to try.

My list is up.

surcey November 16, 2009 at 8:17 am

Good list. In the interest of beating a dead horse, I have to say I never got it why people are all up in arms about a woman breastfeeding another person’s child. I mean, why is it inappropriate? Maybe unconventional, but I don’t think inappropriate.

anna November 16, 2009 at 8:25 am

@surcey, I think it’s a boundary issue. I know this kind of thing is done elsewhere in the world, and more hippie kind of people have no problem with it. But personally, it would bother me a lot for somebody to do that with my child, so it kind of sqwicks me out, even if another mother signed off on it.

Becky November 16, 2009 at 8:39 am

All good. I’m very curious about 2-7.

jenni November 16, 2009 at 9:30 am

always love your list, but am w/becky on 2-7. apparently i don’t read enough blogs.

anna November 16, 2009 at 11:58 am

Becky and Jenni: it’s this boobs and dr. pepper woman, she posted about how one time she fed her dog 6 ambien so that her husband wouldn’t shoot the dog, or some other crazy crap. She has since removed the post, but I read the post right after putting my cat down so I was all obsessed with it for a while.

Meredith November 16, 2009 at 10:38 am

I have to ask: shouldn’t “their” be “there” on #9? I mean, if you’re going to get all grammar police for #14 and #17…Nothing personal.

Love this list and I love your blog.

anna November 16, 2009 at 11:57 am

D’OH. Maybe I do need to go back to elementary school! :)

Becky November 16, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Jesus! What on earth? This happened recently?

anna November 16, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Yeah, I have the original post in my RSS, she’s taken it down. It seems unbelievable that it was a “hallucination” based on what she wrote. But because all of the parties involved appear to be insane and amoral, it’s anyone’s guess at this point.

Becky November 16, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Whoa, now she’s saying it was a hallucination? I’m confused.

anna November 16, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I think it’s true, and the two of them are worried about being arrested, and since everyone is insane, nobody knows what to believe. But BlogHer dropped her from their ad network, and it seems pretty clear to me that she killed the dog.

Kerry November 16, 2009 at 2:20 pm

A hallucination? Seriously? That’s the craziest excuse I’ve ever heard. Who hallucinates an entire blog post? Plus, apparently, she was pretty un-crazy when she took the post down. I watch Law and Order, so I know a lot about this stuff, and I know that Jack McCoy would say that shows she knew the difference between right and wrong (or more accurately, knew that people were not so much liking the whole dog-murder thing).

YAY for BlogHer for dropping her.

anna November 16, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Her husband, who is an equally suspect source, claims that it was an Ambien and wine-induced hallucination, that the dog was actually given away to a neighboring family on that very same night, but apparently no words were ever spoken about it, so for years this woman has been mistakenly believing that she killed her dog in a fit of drunken rage. But it was all a dream! A horrible awful dream!

Jenni November 18, 2009 at 11:57 am

Wow, what a great defense. I’m going to lock that one away just in case I even decided to kill one of my pets. What a couple of morons. Sheesh.

Mo November 16, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Holy cow. I got quite a few of those references, but I don’t even want to wrap my head around some of the others.

(How much crap are you going to get for posting this?!)

anna November 16, 2009 at 3:53 pm

LOL

I don’t know, I don’t think I share the same readership with #2-7, and the others well, they don’t read or follow me, after all, so maybe none?

(Snicker)

Becky November 16, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Somehow I managed to get it all in my reader. That post where she recounts poisoning the dog does not sound like a narration of a delusion. (Like I’m an expert.) It sounds like a pretty straightforward account. Plus it’s all framed by this “let’s tell secrets” thing.

I don’t know her history, maybe they are all crazy as you say, so who knows.

anna November 16, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Yeah. I took it as a pretty straightforward account of her doing what she (absurdly) thought was the right thing to do. That she felt she HAD to do, or else her husband would have killed the dog.

I was in the same session as her at BlogHer and I didn’t (and don’t) know much about her, but the crazy was coming off her the way dirt follows around pigpen that day. Though perhaps crazy isn’t the right term — drama, possible alcoholism, that type of thing.

Ginger November 16, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I obviously am not reading the right blogs–all that sounds wildly entertaining (in a car crash kind of way)!

My list is up.

Grace Davis November 17, 2009 at 12:34 pm

See? I knew there would be some muckracking for you to do. It was only a matter of time. Like, two seconds.

Occasional reader November 17, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I agree 100% and that doesn’t happen very often.

Makes one long for the olden days of editors — it does.