Things You Don’t Know You Need Until You See Them

by anna on June 25, 2009

I have never found an air hand dryer to be satisfactory until this day. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Dyson AirBlade.

It seems like whenever we have friends or family visiting from the East Coast, they want to eat Mexican food. I guess they just don’t know how to make it out there or something? Or maybe it’s just very expensive? Not sure. But when my sister-in-law and her family came out this weekend, they specifically asked for Mexican food.

We took them to this strange restaurant in downtown LA called Yxta. As I tweeted Saturday night, the food at this restaurant was unbelievably good. Mr. Right-Click and his sister ate there a few months ago and they both wanted to go back. I admit I was skeptical. I like Mexican food a great deal, don’t get me wrong: but I was really unsure about how good it could possibly be. Most Mexican food seems pretty much the same–beef, cheese, maybe some lard and tortillas here and there and you’re done. I’m no connoisseur of food anyway. Mostly, I just like to get my carbs and get them fast. . . but let me tell you, this place was excellent. Excellent. If you have the opportunity and you’re somewhere near downtown LA–right by Skid Row, in fact–you’ve got to visit Yxta.

More important in my mind than the quality of Yxta’s food, though, is the fact that Yxta has installed the Dyson AirBlade hand dryer in its bathrooms. Now, I never thought a hand dryer would be worthy of comment, mind you. This one is. Like the Dyson vacuum cleaner, which I own and love, the Dyson AirBlade is a truly unique product. Ordinarily, I hate hand dryers. They are inefficient, loud, and leave my hands wet most of the time. Also, how do you keep the button clean? Hmm? Yeah, little bit of a design flaw there, hand drying people. Well, anyway, the Dyson AirBlade takes care of all that. You just stick your hands into it and a gale force wind comes out and scrapes the water off you hands. It is SO COOL. I am totally ready to give up paper towels in public restrooms if–and only if–everyone will just go out and buy one of these things right now. It’s so cool, I want one in my house. I’m not kidding you. After visiting Yxta’s restroom and discovering the Dyson AirBlade, I cam back to the table and informed everyone that they just had to see this hand dryer. As usual, everyone assumed I was crazy. But my nieces were game, and they came back raving about it as well. By the time we left, the only person who wasn’t in love with the Dyson AirBlade was Mini, who was too busy running laps around the courtyard outside to be bothered with washing his hands. Though, in retrospect, he needed it much more than the rest of us.

So what I want to know is, how do I get one of these in my house? How do I encourage home depot to stock them? Do they have a full-body option? Will somebody (a PR rep, perhaps) please talk to AMC Theaters, Target, and Nordstrom about getting these installed? Seriously. Somebody is shirking their responsibility because this thing ROCKS.

weezy June 25, 2009 at 7:07 am

My local fave restaurant has them, and they do indeed rock.

And to answer your question, good Mexican food on the east coast is a very rare creature, indeed. I don’t even know what good Mexican food actually tastes like because I can’t get it here.

Juliet Grossman June 25, 2009 at 7:47 am

My husband wants something like this (though not as cool as the Dyson) because he heard Ed Begley Jr has one.

Juliet Grossman June 25, 2009 at 7:49 am

Oh and on a related topic, I HATE how every restaurant bathroom now has FOAM soap. Ugh. Great! We can now use 1/4 the amount of soap we should be using. These people are handling our food. Load ‘em up with soap. Cheapos.

Chris June 25, 2009 at 8:12 am

These are amazing, aren’t they? I vote for the full-body option also.

SoMo June 25, 2009 at 9:10 am

Hell Yeah! In my area the only place I have seen these is at our AMC theater. I never use paper towels there, because what is the point. The best thing about these dryers is that they don’t dry out your hands. I don’t know what they did to that air, but everytime I use the old kind of dryers the skin on my hands feels too small. It is annoying.

I would so have one in my house and a full body one would be a dream. No more washing towels, which for some reason I hate very much.

anna June 25, 2009 at 9:19 am

I did some googling and I believe I’ve arrived at the answer for why more places don’t have them:

$1,399.00

I don’t know how much hand dryers usually run but I would guess that’s pretty expensive. OTOH, to never have to buy paper towels again. Or, at home, to never have to wash towels again . . .

Pat June 25, 2009 at 9:23 am

I totally agree! I love these dries. They have them at a local bar here in Rochester and at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport. The first time I used one I sent the rest of my group into the bathroom to experience them as well.

AKD June 25, 2009 at 10:49 am

Our local delicious Mexican place has THIS hand dryer, which I feel is superior to the Dyson:

When I discovered it, I did exactly as you did and made the other people at my table go into the bathroom to experience it. Perhaps it’s cheaper than the Dyson??

Joy @ Big Time Fancy June 25, 2009 at 11:04 am

I asked my mom for a Dyson for my bday. She told me “no” because “that’s not a fun present”.

DYSON IS THE EPITOME OF FUN.

-R- June 25, 2009 at 11:09 am

Ikea has the same type of hand dryer (in the bathroom, not for sale).

Crash Commanda June 25, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Excellent post. Do you want to post a photo credit?

abdpbt June 25, 2009 at 1:49 pm

@CrashCommanda sure! But should I give an alias or the real name?

Amber Warren June 25, 2009 at 3:47 pm

They have NO Mexican restaurants in New York. I lived in Westchester county for a while and couldn’t believe it. I worked up near Sing Sing in this dive-y courthouse back in the day and the population was like 40% Hispanic. I thought for sure they would have good Mexican but no. Even the Mexicans own Italian restaurants. It’s the craziest thing.

Becca June 25, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I saw one for the first time at Whole Foods in Town and Country (you know they have the money to buy them.) I was sceered to stick my hands in there. Proof that I have been away from large cities far too long.

eliz June 27, 2009 at 11:53 am

I have no explanation for the dearth of good Mexican restaurants in the East. There are tons of Latinos living in the Southeast, yet the best independent Mexican restaurants here aren’t any better than a Don Pablo’s. So if I were visiting, the first thing I’d ask is to be directed to a good Mexican restaurant, too.