Bus, Magic Bus

by anna on May 20, 2009

New here? You may want to subscribe to the (free) ABDPBT RSS feed. For an explanation of how RSS subscriptions work, please see this explanatory post. Or, you can sign up to receive new ABDPBT posts by email (also free).

[singlepic id=576 w=750 h=750 float=center]
“Mommy. It is NOT the drugs talking. Bruin Bear wants pancakes. And chicken-flavored crackers. And White Castle sliders. Or Funions.”

We took Mini in for his second myringotomy this morning. If you’re not familiar with the procedure, a myringotomy is when they put tjoobs in your kid’s ears so that they can drain and are not constantly besieged by ear infections. The first year of life was rough for Mini in the ear infection department–he had five in one season, and they had run out of viable antibiotics in syrup form to give him. We had the first surgery a little over a year ago, but he has outgrown those baby tjoobs and needed new ones. If your kid has ear infections, tjoobs are a miracle. I’m not afraid to say it. For one thing, they clean out all the crap back there, and you’ll notice that your kid will be able to hear dramatically better post-surgery. They have also prevented Mini from getting even one ear infection in the 13 months since his last surgery.

[singlepic id=572 w=750 h=750 float=center]
“Where are my keys! GIMME THE KEYS! DUDES–I’m totally cool to drive.”

That said, I’m never too excited about sending Mini into an OR. Even if it’s the OR at Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles–which is, despite its affiliation with USC, one of the best Children’s Hospitals in the world. Mini’s ENT is the head of Otolaryngology at there. Because the Right-Clicks don’t dick around with medical care. We don’t say, “Oh, do you have the name of an ENT who works on kids?” and trust whatever they give us. We say, “Who is the best doctor within 200 miles of here for operating on kids’ ears?” And they send us to Dr. Gellar.

I cannot say enough good stuff about Dr. Gellar or about Children’s Hospital. In fact, if you are looking for a good charitable organization, you might consider putting Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles on your list. If you’re not familiar with them, you should know that, though they do take regular LA resident patients like Mini, they are best known for the work they do with kids who have rare illnesses that require special care. Kids from all over the place travel hundreds and thousands of miles to be treated by the doctors at the hospital free of charge. You may not know that Derek Fisher, the Lakers’ point guard, left his position with the Utah Jazz a few years ago, took a $6.5 million pay cut, and came back to LA so that he could be closer to Children’s Hospital, where his daughter is treated for retinoblastoma.

The only thing about the whole experience that is somewhat lighthearted, though, is the time immediately before surgery when they give Mini the syringe full of cherry-flavored morphine that the nurses there unabashedly refer to as “happy juice.” Last time, Mini was only 11 months old and if you’ve never seen an 11 month old stoned–well you are missing out. Oh, I don’t recommend trying it at home or anything. But you have to look for the silver lining in these kinds of situations.

[singlepic id=575 w=750 h=750 float=center]
I have definitely seen these eyes before. But not on a toddler.

All went well with the surgery, and Mini has a brand new set of ear tjoobs installed. I think he also might have asked the anesthesiologist out to dinner, but I doubt he’ll remember that in the morning.

eliz May 20, 2009 at 5:14 am

Tink didn’t get happy juice, so I missed getting a foreshadowing of her college self on “special occasions.” But she did have some sort of freakout after the anesthesia wore off. Her tubes came out on their own this past winter but every once in a while, like when I ask her to clean up her toys, she tells me she can’t because her tubes are bothering her.

anna May 20, 2009 at 6:36 am

LOL!

Mini had a little bit of a freakout post anesthesia as well. I think he was mostly pissed about being awake. After his nap he was very happy and back to normal, though. Thank goodness.

Chris May 20, 2009 at 6:49 am

Glad everything went well. I know stressful even “routine” procedures can be.

Chris´s last blog post..See Chrisy run.

foradifferentkindofgirl (fadkog) May 20, 2009 at 7:07 am

My youngest son was a boy of constant ear infections. We’d leave the doctor’s office getting an all-clear only to have him back an hour later to be told he had a raging infection. Tubes? They are good.

Glad the procedure went well for Mini.

foradifferentkindofgirl (fadkog)´s last blog post..i wish i was in tijuana

jenni May 20, 2009 at 7:53 am

We’ve been lucky to only have two ear infections in two years around these parts. I couldn’t imagine having to deal w/as many a Mini did. Glad things went well. And cherry flavored morphine? Wow.

jenni´s last blog post..RTT: Letters to my Loves

Juliet Grossman May 20, 2009 at 10:11 am

Glad he is okay! I think you know Eva had to have bladder-kidney surgery at age three and it can be a scary time. Anytime they do anything with anesthesiology, it’s like you can’t relax until they are up and moving around again. LOL @ “happy juice.” Eva periodically had to have these procedures where she had to be awake so they’d give her Versed, and it’s like seeing your three year old drunk off her ass, giggling, trying to pluck imaginary bubbles out of the air, etc. You half expect them to start singing karaoke then get weepy and sentimental.

By the way there are morphine lollipops too. Funny idea but spend two seconds in a children’s hospital and you will thank god there are compassionate and creative people out there inventing this stuff.

Juliet Grossman´s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday

becky May 20, 2009 at 10:54 am

Where do I find these morphine lollipops?

Glad everything went well. Stressful!

becky´s last blog post..How Jon Bon Jovi Spends One Hundred Percent of His Time

anna May 20, 2009 at 11:10 am

lol@becky . . . tell me more about these lollipops of which you speak.

@Juliet, yeah I knew Eva had at least one surgery. Uggh. Mini was sticking his tongue out at a mirror and moving it around and laughing yesterday. I have to say that last year’s drunkenness was funnier, but it’s still classic every time.

blissfully caffeinated May 20, 2009 at 12:29 pm

So glad the procedure went well. Now off to see if I can find an underground supplier of cherry flavored morphine. You know, to help the kids sleep at night.

blissfully caffeinated´s last blog post..Children caught riding turtle: “Mommy told us to,” the suspects allege.

Becca May 20, 2009 at 3:23 pm

My son had 14 ear infections in 12 months before the ENT in Bumfuzzle Georgia decided it would be ok to do the tubes. In contrast my youngest daughter had 4 ear infections in a year and the ENT at Chilren’s Hospital in St.Louis. I loved the care that the baby received there and her tubes held up longer than the boy’s. I am willing to do almost anything to get rid of them, ear infections are one of the top five in my list of most painful illnesses.

Glad to hear Mini came out of it alright, and you’re right stoned babies (only during pre-op, people please) are funnier than anything I’ve seen in a long time! :)

Becca´s last blog post..So that’s how you stay employed…

anna May 20, 2009 at 9:11 pm

@Becca, UGH! 14 ear infections? So basically, you were constantly dealing with them. You must have run out of antibiotics as well. That is so sad. Your daughter is lucky that you had that experience and knew what to do! My husband had to have 5 operations as a kid, and I’m not sure how many ear infections happened before those. His hearing is a little tiny bit impacted now by it–I’m hoping that we’ve been on top of Mini’s infections enough to avoid any permanent hearing damage for him. So far it looks good, but we have to have some tests done soon to double check.

Kerry May 21, 2009 at 5:29 am

We have been really lucky with ear infections; my daughter had one as a baby, and my son has never had one. I’d get the tubes in a heartbeat if either of them had THAT many though.

Kerry´s last blog post..How to Get Noticed in a Sea of Candidates

Amber Warren May 21, 2009 at 11:35 am

Oooohhh sad! He looks so buzzed and fuzzy. But I’m glad that it’s a procedure that works. My kiddo has never had ear infection, which always surprises me when I think about it, because I had a zillion of them growing up. But my kiddo’s severely allergic to peanuts. So maybe that’s the trade off! LOL.

Amber Warren´s last blog post..The First Time I Got Dumped (and the Rules of Dealing with it)

Becca May 21, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Anna you are soo right about the baby girl, we were definitely blessed. Actually, the Soldier’s hearing is fine while the Cookie Queen’s was impacted about 10%. That’s ok, she’s also the one I nursed for 14 months and she has allergies out the wazoo, including food allergies. Sometimes no matter what you do, it won’t be enough…

Becca´s last blog post..Schooool’s out for the summer… oh wait, not yet!

Deb on the Rocks May 22, 2009 at 1:05 pm

What a week you’ve had. So glad you received good care!

Deb on the Rocks´s last blog post..Buying Rachel Maddow