[Ed. note: Please make sure to follow the links to see my copious notes on all of the how-tos of this gala extravaganza!]
- A toddler as the guest of honor. Preferably, a two-year-old.
- Forecast for beastly 90 degree heat that ends up being the hottest April 19th in Los Angeles history at over 100 degrees.
- Thomas The Tank Engine Cake with face carved out of fondant.
- Accept that the cake will probably melt. See #2. You will just have to let this go.
- Lots of kids jacked up on sugar.[singlepic=554,560,560,,center]
- Loads of antique trains nearby, at the ready.
- Picnic-table-sized cutouts of Thomas, James, and Percy as table decorations.
- Rent a huge box of toy trains and set up tracks for the toddlers to play with them on.