Trains, Trains, and More Trains: I Love Trains. I Love Them in a Park, I Love Them Old and Dark, I Love Them Word My Mark. By Mini Right-Click.

by anna on January 13, 2009

[singlepic=469,560,560,center]

Have I mentioned that I love trains? Or, “tanes,” as I like to refer to them, since–if you ask me–people are way too obsessed with precise enunciation these days. Well, I do. And Daddy had heard that Griffith Park (which, incidentally, is the largest park in a big city in the world, again, according to Daddy, who knows about this stuff) is quite the destination for toddlers who love tanes. Not only are there three separate miniature tanes you can take rides on within the park, there is a whole old tane museum full of retired tane cars and engines that were collected by some old guy a long time ago, and then stockpiled right in the middle of the park, to the left of the 5 Freeway on ramp and just a stone’s throw away from where they shot those “ancient Japan” scenes in Heroes last season.

[singlepic=471,560,560,center]

Last weekend, we went to see the storied tanes of Griffith Park Travel Town, which is the name they give to this old tane car museum. And what an adventure we had! Upon arrival, I was immediately confronted by an aisle of tanes as long as the eye could see.

[singlepic=467,560,560,center]
Daddy pointed out to us that this whole tane museum, as it turns out, belongs to ME. YES, ME. That’s right.
[singlepic=468,560,560,center]
I decided to let the other little kids stay, though, even if the tanes belonged to me. I am a benevolent soul, after all. And besides, I figured they could dick around in the passenger cars while I was driving. No biggie.
[singlepic=472,560,560,center]
When we were checking out some of the old cars, we found out that some kids were having their birthday parties there that day. At MY museum.
[singlepic=473,560,560,center]
And not only that, a couple of them had the audacity to decorate the empty tane cars with Thomas the Tank Engine paraphernalia. The nerve. Once again, I tried to be generous and focus on the positive. Like the fact that I could still climb into another engine.
[singlepic=474,560,560,center]
But after the kids refused to let me play with their Thomas stuff, I told Daddy, “To the mechanical horses, I say!”
[singlepic=475,560,560,center]
We rode on the moving train three or five times around the track, admiring various old trolley cars and delivery trucks that looked like they were taken out of gangster movies.
[singlepic=476,560,560,center]
Our time was cut short by my need for a nap, but Mommy says we can go back soon, and maybe have my birthday party there in a few months. Seems reasonable, given that it is MY museum, and nobody bothered to tell me until now. All aboard!
[singlepic=477,560,560,center]

Christine January 13, 2009 at 5:49 am

Dear Mini,
As it is clear from the title of this post, you appreciate trains and rhyming. May I suggest a book called “Clickety Clack” by Robert and Amy Spence. It rhymes and features agreat animal filled train. It was beloved for years by two train loving boys I know and much less mind numbing for adults to read than the average Thomas book.

Christine´s last blog post..What I Just Finished Reading While Wearing an Outdoor Performance Fleece and Sipping a Latte

anna January 13, 2009 at 8:23 am

@Christine, thanks for the recommendation! I am definitely going to look into that. It looks like it’s right up Mini’s alley.

Ryan January 13, 2009 at 5:53 am

Okay, wow. I really want to go to this.

Ryan´s last blog post..Getting the Panic Room in order

anna January 13, 2009 at 8:23 am

@Ryan, do you want to go, or do you want to take your little one? :)

Juliet January 13, 2009 at 9:02 am

If you get down to the San Diego Zoo, it’s worth a quick stop for their train in Balboa Park (not far from the Zoo entrance.) Very fun and perfect for Mini’s age!

Juliet´s last blog post..Shop Local! MsChievious and The Enchanted Shire

anna January 13, 2009 at 9:43 am

@Juliet, I remember that train from when I used to visit my grandparents. When I lived in San Diego, I used to run through Balboa Park also, it’s nice. I’m looking forward to taking Mini to that zoo, he’s getting to the age where I think he’ll really enjoy it. Plus, it’s a million billion times better than our crappy zoo.

Kerry January 13, 2009 at 9:44 am

That’s cool. We don’t have anything like that here.

Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for children January 13, 2009 at 11:43 am

Hi Mini, I’m Tarson. I tan’t say my “k” or “r” sounds.

I LOVE twains! Your twains look weally neato. Tan I tome over and play with you? I know my mommy’s twedit cahd numbah and I tould be on a plane within the hour.

See you soon!
Tarson

Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for children´s last blog post..Ignore the cackling of my 2008 book list

anna January 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm

LOL

Hi Tawson!

I’ll be there at LAX to pick you up!

Kayjayoh January 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Oh wow, my nephew would be over the moon in a place like that. He is obsessed with trains.

Souther' Mother January 13, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Oh, I wish we’d had access to this joint when Bubba was in his train-obsessive phase a couple years ago. Glad that’s over, though. It’s all Scooby fucking Doo now.

As an aside, wouldn’t you have loved to have thought up the Thomas the Tank Engine racket? Ten bucks for each little train and only a second mortgage for a whole train table set. The paint chips off instantly in the hands of a three year-old boy, and if you’re lucky, it’s lead based. Yay low Chinese manufacturing standards!

Souther’ Mother´s last blog post..Why I Hate Wal-Mart: Twenty Reasons

hannah April 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

May I also recommend Angel’s Flight downtown? Technically a funicular, but the kids don’t know that. 25 cents a ride, and there’s a big water fountain with ducks at the top.