9 Innocent Victims of The Twitter Phishing Scheme and their Fraudulent Updates!

by anna on January 5, 2009

[singlepic=240,560,330,,center]

Well, Twitter was abuzz this weekend with its first phishing scandal! Yes, apparently a bunch of DMs (direct messages, for the uninitiated) were sent to individual twitter users in an attempt to steal twitter logins and passwords. Twitter users were DMed at random and encouraged to click on a link. That link? Took them to a fake Twitter login page, where the poor, unsuspecting Phish would then plug in their login and password. This would allow the Phishermen to steal this private information. Why? Well, since twitter doesn’t have any kind of monetizing attached to it, nor do people use Twitter usernames as passwords or ATM codes, the reasoning behind this particular scheme is at present UNKNOWN. And that makes it all the more frightening. Because what if somebody else can just arbitrarily update what I am doing right now? Well? What then?

Wait. I smell a parody coming on.

Got a list to share? Here’s what to do:

1. Write a “list” post on your blog.
  2. Copy this code, and paste in the text of your post:
  3. Either comment or email me at anna at abdpbt View definition in a new window dot com to let me know you’re participating, and I’ll link you up below.

Check out these list lovers:

1. ABDPBT Personal Finance
  2. Keely at Un-Mom
  3. Ginny Marie at LemonDropPie
  4. Ginger at Ramble Ramble
  5. Pauvre Plume

Ginny Marie January 5, 2009 at 5:37 am

Anna,

You are 2 legit…2 legit 2 quit!

Great list!

Ginny Marie´s last blog post..Animal Sightings

Keely January 5, 2009 at 8:04 am

lol, nice. Internet famous.

Mine’s up…do pictures count? :)

Keely´s last blog post..4 pictures that pretty much sum up my New Years Eve

anna January 5, 2009 at 8:32 am

@Ginny Marie–LOL. You’re linked up.

@Keely, pictures definitely count! You’re linked up as well.

foradifferentkindofgirl (fadkog) January 5, 2009 at 9:08 am

A year or so ago, a woman called me at the bookstore to see if you had Hammer’s greatest hits collection in our music and dvd department. I had no idea the dude was prolific enough to have a greatest hits package.

This post should be on yours one day.

foradifferentkindofgirl (fadkog)´s last blog post..joe jonas, if you’re reading this, i still totally pink puffy heart love you, too, ok?

Ginger January 5, 2009 at 10:24 am

Another fantastic list. If I had half your wit…well, realistically I’d probably waste it on one liners to my husband, so nevermind.

Oh and my list is up. I’ve missed lists over the holidays!

Ginger´s last blog post..Who needs resolutions when you’ve got goals?

anna January 5, 2009 at 11:35 am

@fadkog, I wouldn’t have thought he’d have a greatest hits, either. But then, I’m not overly familiar with his oeuvre.

@Ginger, you’re linked up. And, eh, my wit is really not so fantastic.

Kerry January 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Fabulous.

I hope to have a list up next week, if I have my act together.

PauvrePlume January 5, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Anna Anna Bo-Banna, Fa… sh*t, I always forget how that goes. I end up just being like, “Shmanna Shmanna Shmo-Shmanna…”…

Nice list! I was paranoid all weekend that I’d get a faux DM. Which is almost as scary as a faux BM, but less smelly.

You’re welcome.

Anyway… my list is up!

And now I must go watch that guy put his poor, cute kid through televised hell on The Bachelor.

PauvrePlume´s last blog post..Abandonment, Season 1. CANCELED.