12 Ideas Motrin Ditched Before They Greenlighted the BabyWearing Ad

by anna on November 17, 2008

[singlepic=240,560,330,,center]

Have you seen the Motrin ad about how it’s a good thing to take if you have been wearing your baby so much that you’re in pain? It’s on Youtube now, in case you haven’t seen it yet. And the #motrinmoms View definition in a new window were all aTwitter about it. I’m not going to embed it here, because far be it from me to help their viral marketing, except insofar as it provides me with a comedy riff. But here’s the text of the ad, in case you’re too lazy to click on the link:

Wearing your baby seems to be in fashion, I mean in theory it’s a great idea, there’s the front baby carrier, sling, schwing, wrap, and who knows what else they’ve come up with–wear the baby on your side, your front, go hands free, supposedly it’s a real bonding experience. They say that babies carried close to the bod tend to cry less than others, BUT WHAT ABOUT ME? Do Moms that wear babies cry more than those who don’t? I SURE DO. These things put a ton of strain on your back, your neck, your shoulders. Did I mention your back? I mean I’ll put up with the pain, because it’s a good kind of pain–it’s for my kid, plus it totally makes me look like an official Mom. And so if I look tired and crazy, people will understand why. Motrin: We Feel Your Pain.TM

Anyway, I don’t personally have a big problem with the ad–it’s lame and unfunny, sure, but so are most ads. And new Moms do look tired and crazy a lot of the time, not that wearing a baby or taking a Motrin has anything to do with causing or stopping this. But a bunch of people are all up in arms, so if Motrin’s goal was a viral campaign with negative controversy, then they’ve succeeded admirably. But I suspect that what they were trying to do was to target market Moms on the internet, and if so, then they’ve kind of missed the mark. Because they are not familiar enough with the market to know that it’s not OK to be snarky about motherhood and the assorted annoyances unless you’re Dooce. And goddamnit, Motrin is not Dooce. Why, Motrin cannot even be said to be a Dooce derivative. MOTRIN IS THE MAN! So the controversy rages: Why is Motrin trying to be Dooce?! How dare they?

So this got me thinking . . . if the people at Motrin think that carrying a baby in a sling is so painful, particularly to a demographic that has recently pushed watermelons out of their vajayjays, and, what’s more, they think that this demographic isn’t already intimately aware of the benefits of ibuprofen, then the mind reels at what was left on the cutting room floor during this ad copywriting session. What did they turn down, do you think?

1. I didn’t want to breastfeed–in fact, the whole idea kinda creeped me out, truth be told. But it seemed like everyone was doing it, like it was the THING to do, so I did. And now I have a cracked nipple. Motrin: We Feel Your Pain.TM
  2. The Family Bed seemed like such a great idea, in theory. But now my 17-year old won’t stop kicking me in the head at night when we were sleeping in the Family Bed. Motrin: We Feel Your Pain.TM
  3. I’ve always been a staunch supporter of abstinence as a birth control method. Then, right after I decided to run for Vice-President, my 16-year old daughter told me she was pregnant. Motrin: We Feel Your Pain.TM
  4. They offered me percoset for the recovery for my episiotomy. But after sixteen refills, the doctor won’t give me any more of the sweet nectar. Hey–can I look through your medicine cabinet? Motrin: We Feel Your PainTM
  5. My toddler likes to throw his sippy cup at me, and I believe in running child-centered household, so I don’t tell him no. Instead, I talk to talk to him about his feelings. Motrin: We Feel Your Pain.TM
  6. I just discovered Twitter, and I can’t feel my fingertips anymore. Motrin: We Feel Your PainTM
  7. We were so excited to bring our new baby home. And to put together that new baby swing. How hard could it be? Motrin: We Feel Your PainTM
  8. It’s football season. Motrin: We Feel Your PainTM
  9. Egads! I’ve been raped and left for dead. Motrin: We Feel Your PainTM
  10. I work as an actress in Hollywood and I’m not allowed to eat. But being lightheaded makes me feel like an official celebrity. Motrin: We Feel Your PainTM
  11. Everybody is reading the Twilight series! So I’ve been reading the Twilight series! Staying up all night reading the Twilight Series, in fact! I think I might actually be a vampire now. Biting hurts! Motrin: We Feel Your PainTM
  12. When you’re saudering a timer onto a bomb, and then you burn yourself? Doesn’t that suck? Motrin IB: We Feel Your Pain.TM

Got a list to share? Here’s what to do:

1. Write a “list” post on your blog.
  2. Copy this code, and paste in the text of your post:
  3. Either comment or email me at anna at abdpbt View definition in a new window dot com to let me know you’re participating, and I’ll link you up below.

Check out these list lovers:

1. Jenni at Oscarelli
  2. Keely at the Un-Mom
  3. Katrina at KitKatsKnits
  4. Becky at Suburban Matron
  5. CrazyLovesCompany
  6. Ginny Marie at Lemondrop Pie
  7. Ginger at Ramble Ramble
  8. Amy at Gazelles on Crack

Carla November 17, 2008 at 5:18 am

Very, very funny. (:

jenni November 17, 2008 at 5:59 am

I am so the demograpic for number 11. In fact, Twilight even makes an appearance in my list. Sigh, that is embarassing.

My list is up! Now I have to go remove a paint chip from my todder’s mouth. Here’s hoping it doesn’t containt lead.

jenni´s last blog post..Listless Mondays: Things Left to Do Before I Give Birth

crazylovescompany November 17, 2008 at 6:25 am

God I need to read Jenni’s list immediately. My mom is convinced I’m going to go into labor any day now.
And I don’t need the Motrin, but I’m looking forward to when I can have a glass of wine. When can you do that if you are nursing? I have to look into that. sigh.

crazylovescompany´s last blog post..How to rationalize chocolate as a health food

Michele November 17, 2008 at 7:28 am

I wanted to pick just one as my favorite but can’t. These are all too funny. Though I’ve read #3 four times now and it still makes me laugh. That does it! It must be the fav.

I didn’t write a list today but I’ll try to later. I wrote a poem instead. I like to inflict pain every once in awhile. Makes people realize they are still alive. Right?

Michele´s last blog post..Charity Dog Walk Weekend – A Poem

Ginny Marie November 17, 2008 at 7:42 am

I stared drinking wine again after my little ones started eating solid foods and weren’t nursing as much. I cheated, though, and would take a sip(s) out of my husband’s glass.

I haven’t had a sippy cup thrown at my head lately, but my 15 month old has been biting me a lot, just like a little puppy.

Keely November 17, 2008 at 7:52 am

I love #9. Because, y’know, that’s exactly what you would say: “Egads!”.

My list is up.

Keely´s last blog post..9 things I covet, or, oh hey is it Christmas time already?

Becky November 17, 2008 at 8:14 am

I’m cracking up at number 9, but I think 11 is my fave. Biting hurts!

I am listing today.

Becky´s last blog post..3 Reasons The Internet Needs To Be Over Now

The Stiletto Mom November 17, 2008 at 8:28 am

You’ve managed to sum up my life with #8…sigh…

What a stupid ad campaign!!

The Stiletto Mom´s last blog post..Grade School Math

goodfather November 17, 2008 at 12:06 pm

OK, so the list is totally amazing. Seriously. I want to get out my video camera, and make each one of these and post them on Youtube.

goodfather´s last blog post..CommentLuv needs updating on this site. Please download the latest version and install it on your site. This message will apear during the first 10 minutes of each hour. This remote script will cease returning posts in 7 days

Ginger November 17, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I’m a particular fan of #10 myself! Although, I’m not sure that’s the best ad campaign either, since I’m sure Motrin isn’t what that demographic is using to dull the pain.

Moving on…my list is up!

Ginger´s last blog post..10 reasons I love blogging

Carrie November 17, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Sure, it’s all fun and games for you. I heard about the ad on twitter and then I watched it and it was WAY WORSE than I thought. So insulting, and posts like this are part of the problem.

Amy November 17, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Nothing like a sense of humor to get one through the day!

I, too, am a lister today. That’s about all I could muster. Although I am seriously contemplating showering in the next hour or so – I’m a crazy lady!

Amy´s last blog post..15 Random Thoughts When Recovering from the Flu

susbarefoot November 17, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Wow, the Motrin ad is offensive! As a mom of 3, I wear my baby a lot and I’m aware of mom aches. The sling isn’t one of them.

anna November 17, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Does anybody have an animated gif for rolling one’s eyes?

Candace November 17, 2008 at 1:52 pm

OK…funniest comment on the whole thing, yet.

#4 was awesome. #7 would actually legitimately have made a better ad.

Yes, the ad was “off” in its tone for so many reasons…that’s the POINT of the post (at least I think it is)–the ad was a terrible decision, and how dumb can Motrin be?, and can we all have a good laugh now because otherwise I’m going to need some pain killer and I have Motrin in my medicine cabinet because it was on sale and if I have to drag a preschooler and a newborn to the supermarket, nothing will be able to alleviate this headache?

Candace´s last blog post..Hottest Holiday Toys Guide and 12 Days of Giveaways Starts Today!

Karen MEG November 17, 2008 at 7:02 pm

That was hilarious – your list, I mean. That motrin thing, I guess as long as they get the name out. I thought it was a lame ad anyway.

I wish I hadn’t missed this listless Monday. Maybe next time!

foradifferentkindofgirl (fadkog) November 18, 2008 at 8:06 am

Here’s how much I love this list – I want each of them printed on a Tshirt, and I would wear one a day for 12 days, except on the Twilight one, I would add the word ‘psych!’ to it.

foradifferentkindofgirl (fadkog)´s last blog post..‘you know, i’m getting input here that i’m reading as relatively hostile’

blissfully caffeinated November 18, 2008 at 9:14 am

“what’s more, they think that this demographic isn’t already intimately aware of the benefits of ibuprofen…”

Seriously. We know. Our backs hurt and our heads hurt and we are already popping the IB like they’re tic tacs. The ad was stupid. Your list is hilarious. #4 is my favorite. #2 scares me. A little too close to home.

You rock.

blissfully caffeinated´s last blog post..Spin Recycle: I Hate Snakes. They Should All Die Slow Agonizing Deaths. In Private. So We Never Have To See Them Ever Again.

Missives From Suburbia November 18, 2008 at 8:09 pm

It sometimes seems impossible for me to like your blog anymore than I already do, then you come out with something like this. Oh, hallelujah for this:

Excellent list.

Missives From Suburbia´s last blog post..Spit and Determination

Mr Lady November 19, 2008 at 11:57 am

#5 made me pee my pants. Not kidding.

Mr Lady´s last blog post..Wasted Potential, I Tell You What, Man.

puglyfeet December 2, 2008 at 8:57 pm

I find nothing wrong with the ad. Everyone is overreacting.

{ 1 trackback }