Glass Ponytail Holders by Pickleberries Glass

by anna on November 9, 2008

[singlepic=337,560,560,,center]

A few years ago I was looking around at Fred Segal and I found these cool hairbands that had [edit] fused glass on them. Like everything at Fred Segal, they were exorbitantly priced–one ponytail holder was something like $65! So even though I really wanted it, I didn’t buy it. And then a few weeks later, when I was still obsessed by the damn ponytail holder, and having figured that by that time, in terms of an hourly rate, I had more than spent the $65 in time thinking about how much I wanted the ponytail holder, I went back and was going to buy it anyway–exorbitant price and all.

And you can guess what happened–they didn’t have anymore. Because if LA has a lot of anything, it is a supply of people willing to pay a lot of money for things that are overpriced. And so, I went without my decorative glass ponytail holder. But then one day recently, I thought, “Hey, I bet there’s somebody on Etsy who makes glass ponytail holders.” So I went and did a search, and sure enough, there was the Pickleberries shop. So I ordered these two and now I’m happy to report my hair is being kept out of my face at present by beautiful, handmade fused glass-decorated rubber bands.

eliz November 9, 2008 at 7:38 am

I love the Etsy. Everything can be found there. I saw some girls’ skirts some crafty blogger made and for a moment I was tempted to buy a sewing machine, find the pattern online and then start shopping for fabric. Until I too remembered Etsy! Now three skirts are on their way to me.

eliz´s last blog post..Mine! All mine!

Keely November 9, 2008 at 7:51 am

Aw…now I wish I hadn’t cut my hair :(

NGS November 9, 2008 at 9:14 am

I always try to subscribe to the think about purchases for a day and if you’re still thinking about buying, you probably should. However, I’ve been burned a time or two when, upon returning to the store, my wanted item was no place to be found! Good job for the creative thinking. Etsy saves the day once again!!

NGS´s last blog post..45 x 365 #13

The Stiletto Mom November 9, 2008 at 9:54 am

Those are super cute! I’m going to buy a few for myself….$10 is so much better than $65!!

The Stiletto Mom´s last blog post..Money! Shopping! Squeeeee!!!

Kayjayoh November 9, 2008 at 10:11 am

They are very attractive. I love Esty.

Just a side note, that is not blown glass. It is fused glass.

Michele November 9, 2008 at 10:16 am

Those are beautiful. So much prettier than my dogie chewed on scrunchies.

Michele´s last blog post..Speaking of Yak Cheese

Robin November 9, 2008 at 10:17 am

What a great find! I am loving the Brilliant Blossoms one. So much cuter than my plain old black ponytail holders. I love Etsy… such fun stuff there! Why spend $65 at Fred Segal when you can support an indie artist? :) Perfect place to shop for the holidays.

goodfather November 9, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Oooooo, shiny!

Ginger November 9, 2008 at 8:49 pm

If only my hair were long enough for a ponytail! Those are lovely!

Ginger´s last blog post..Saturday is for getting things done

Lonnie November 9, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Anna, I’m so glad you are happy with my “Gum In Hair” and “Winter Birch” fused glass ponytail holders. I just about dropped my teeth when your blog came up on my Google alert! How sweet of you to write about them.

I began making ponies for my daughter and her bff. The accessories took off after people saw them on the gals noggins. I love to fuse glass and this is one more way for me to be able to play. :)

Thank you for your business and the article, Lonnie of PickleBerries

Lonnie´s last blog post..Garden For A Patriot

Backpacking Dad November 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm

If only my hair were longer…

Backpacking Dad´s last blog post..Simple

jenni November 10, 2008 at 9:15 am

And NOT EVEN $65. Score.

jenni´s last blog post..Labor Hurts

anna November 10, 2008 at 9:24 am

@Kayjayoh Thanks–I have no idea the difference, because I know nothing about glass! I edited.

@Lonnie–thanks for coming by! I love the hairbands, and I never got around to emailing you, so I figured this was a better thank you, anyway. Best of luck with your sales!