Mobile Diaper Changing and Emergency Supply Kit

by anna on November 2, 2008

[singlepic=338,590,440,,center]

This is another one of those posts where a chorus of you guys say, “DUH!” But, yeah, it took me 18 months to figure out that it might be easier and more convenient to just have a kit ready to go in the car with all the Mini supplies in it, rather than searching through the diaper bag every time and then getting to wherever I’m going, and saying, “I HATE THIS DIAPER BAG! I’m not bringing it.” And then taking a diaper out and stuffing it in my purse.

Because you think you need a diaper bag all the time, but really you don’t. If you are going to be in proximity to your car, almost everything can be left in the car when you go out with a toddler. Why? Because you can never stay any one place long enough to run out of supplies, that’s why. One application of sunblock, then put it back in the car. Diapers, naturally, are the exception, but you don’t need a giant bag for this unless you are going on a plane or something.

So, I went to Target and bought two plastic storage boxes, one for each car. Inside, I put:

• 5 diapers
  • a package of baby wipes
  • a package of Handi Wipes
  • Bandaids
  • Neosporin
  • Sunscreen
  • Infant Tylenol; and
  • Ibuprofen (for parents, not babies).
  • Also–diaper disposal bags, I forgot! Thanks, Juliet!

Ta-da! I slipped it into the trunk, right next to my Ice Cream Consistency Management System, and we’re good to go!

crazylovescompany November 2, 2008 at 6:25 am

Genius! I think it’s genius and plan to steal your idea. Thank you. These are the types of things a first time parent need to know.

crazylovescompany´s last blog post..What happened with the dinners? Puppy, and other crucial Sunday updates.

Juliet November 2, 2008 at 7:04 am

You need to add disposal bags. Target sells some on a pull-ring under the Eddie Bauer label.

chris November 2, 2008 at 7:05 am

You are so smart. Where were you when I needed you ten years ago?

anna November 2, 2008 at 7:32 am

@Juliet–good call! I will add that to the list and give you credit. Always forget those things.

eliz November 2, 2008 at 7:05 pm

After switching between two diaper bags I hated, I finally did the same thing. I kept two or three diapers and a container of wipes in one of those Diapee and Wipee thingys (http://www.babybungalow.com/diwidiacbag.html), the rest of the supplies in a Ziploc and also had a change of clothes in another Ziploc and put it all in a coolio basket (http://www.reusablebags.com/store/reisenthel-market-basket-p-726.html?osCsid=4fc1ec45a34f5330dace1ac48a4c0f78). And now that my baby’s 3, I put the two Ziplocs elsewhere in the car so she can use the basket for car toys and books.

eliz´s last blog post..Wherein I’m a crappy wife

goodfather November 2, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Genius! If I was on my own, I would so go to Target TONIGHT and get this stuff. My beautiful wife handles the diapers detail, however, and she’s so organized I frankly don’t know what her system is :D . Heh, scary.

goodfather´s last blog post..Trick-or-treat!

Katie @ Heart Gone Walking November 3, 2008 at 8:30 am

LOVE this idea! I’m so ready to be done with the bulky diaper bag but, of course, the ONE time I needed an outfit for her, I didn’t pack it. But thanks for the tip!