Horizon Organic Whole Milk

by anna on October 19, 2008

[singlepic=300,560,340,,center]
I will say it right now: I hate milk. I have always hated it. Oh sure, every once in a while I’ll feel like drinking it, like say, after eating an entire bag of Mini Oreos by myself, or after stuffing my face with chocolate brownies or something. But barring that, eh. I find it somewhat gross.
My son ADORES milk. Seriously. He guzzles down like four or five sippy cups of the shit at a sitting. Okay, I’m being hyperbolic. But he does love it. And since I don’t want him to grow an extra ear or go through puberty at 24 months, I’ve decided that he should be drinking organic milk. I am not very good about organic stuff, incidentally. I think it’s really just too much bother most of the time. But when I heard about girls going through puberty at 9, I thought, maybe it would be better to have less hormones in the milk, eh? So for Mini, we do buy organic milk. But beyond that, my similarities to Kate Gosselin are nil.
Horizon is our favorite, and if you like it too, I want to let you in on something that you probably already know, but just in case you don’t: you should always try to buy this stuff at Target. It is almost always at least $1 cheaper per half gallon at Target, and more if there’s a sale or if you buy it in the gallon size. The only difference is that I’ve found the Target ones have expiration dates that are closer–still weeks away, of course, but only of concern if you buy like ten of them at once and use them to stock the garage refrigerator like I do.
Oh yeah, and when the space people come–AND THEY WILL COME–I will be all set with milk. For like a month.

Casey October 19, 2008 at 7:02 am

I use organic milk for the same reason, don’t want my kids to hit puberty at 9! Thanks for the tip, I’ll be getting our milk at Target from now on.

Casey´s last blog post..How Many People Does It Take

HeatherPride October 19, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I love this milk too! I started buying it because we never went through milk fast enough to beat the expiration date, and this stuff’s expiration date is always like 2 weeks longer than the regular milk. Then I started hearing about possible links between puberty and milk hormones. So I’m on board! I don’t usually go overboard with organic stuff, but I do like this.

shonda October 19, 2008 at 6:43 pm

You are blogging about milk, you are totally a mom. I’m not laughing at you, I’m laughing with you.

shonda´s last blog post..Old Friends Are Gold

Mary Anne October 19, 2008 at 6:59 pm

GAH!!! I hate milk! My kids like it so we always have it on hand. True story here. My cousin who is 37 likes to guzzle milk after a strenuous work out. Makes me want to puke. Ick.

Love Horizon Organic though, and it does last longer. Doesn’t mean I’ll drink it though.

Mary Anne´s last blog post..Best Southern Belle Joke Ever

My Buddy Mimi October 20, 2008 at 8:09 am

Have you watched the original one-hour episode of Jon & Kate? They shop at a warehouse club, and NOTHING is organic.

My Buddy Mimi´s last blog post..Old-school calendar

weezy October 20, 2008 at 10:50 am

To make you feel even better, studies are showing that organic milk has 60% higher amounts of conjugated lineolic acid than conventional milk, and increased CLA is linked to reduced incidence of tumors.

shahnnen October 22, 2008 at 12:51 am

horizon was pulled from several of my local organic-y stores about a year ago b/c they were still putting some random shit in their milk/milk products/and/or using inhumane methods . most non-chain organic stores (that i have seen) don’t carry their stuff anymore. i haven’t really investigated the whole ordeal, but there were fliers passed out, etc. since then, i have been avoiding horizon, which is too bad because now i can’t go to target under the guise of ‘getting milk’- aka buying random house shit i don’t really need.

shahnnen´s last blog post..pampered chef- yes. vice-president- absolutely not.

Janet Cox January 15, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Horizon Organic milk company is misleading consumers and dealing unethically with producers. They claim to get their milk from small, family-owned farms when they are actually driving these exact farms out of business. Horizon is not honoring contracts with small farmers, but instead getting their milk from their OWN company mega-dairy. They are misleading consumers by stating, on their website and in their literature, that they are comprised of small family dairies, when in fact, much of their milk comes from dairies with more than 500 cows.

One dairyman, Mr. Don Halverson, the owner of a small 50-cow dairy in Idaho, has shared his story of Horizon committing verbally to take his milk once he completed the expensive organic certification process, only to refuse to honor that agreement after he’d invested the thousands of dollars and time required. You can read more here: http://sites.google.com/site/integrityinbusiness/