Maple Gold Maple Butter

by anna on October 18, 2008

[singlepic=272,540,330,,center]
So, we were in Gelson’s, the Super Market!,™ the other day, discussing what we should get for Mini’s dinner. This was the topic, yes, even though we were in the syrup aisle. I suppose this might raise some questions about our fitness as nutritional role models for our son, and perhaps that will be the subject of another blog post someday. Or not. Anyway, we’re on the syrup aisle and I’m looking around and–as if by magic–my eye is caught by what must be the most wonderful product ever invented, viz. Maple Butter! Maple Butter?! Butter! made out of maple. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
So yeah, I have a thing for candy made out of maple sugar. I first had it at Magic Mountain, when I went there in eighth grade for some kind of bogus, mid-week middle school graduation trip. I think that was the only time I went to Magic Mountain as a child, in fact, because my mother was convinced it was the site of teenage vandalism and knife fights. And anyway, I don’t know why they had maple sugar candy at Magic Mountain. All I know is that it was love at first bite, and since then I have always gone after maple products when I can find them. This is not often, since I live in Southern California.
I suppose this is another thing to thank Canada for. I have been eating this stuff on French bread and crackers all week, and yeah, maybe I did Photoshop that picture a bit, to make the jar look full. So what?

QB October 18, 2008 at 5:42 am

I cannot tell you how much I love maple sugar. It is really tough to find in CA in general, but if you’re ever back up in Palo Alto, the Village Cheese Shop in the Town & Country shopping center sells it! The real stuff (usually), not the “maple candy” which has regular sugar mixed in.

Casey October 18, 2008 at 7:22 am

That looks great. Every time I go up north I bring my mom back some maple candy. Something about eating candy in the shape of a leaf makes it taste so much better!

Casey´s last blog post..Spin Cycle: Trick Or Treat

blissfully caffeinated October 18, 2008 at 11:15 am

Oh my, that looks so good! See, we do have to thank Canada every so often. Also, they apparently invented television. So, thanks for maple syrup and television, Canada.

I freaking LOVE Magic Mountain. We went to MM way more than Disneyland as kids. The Colossus rules!

blissfully caffeinated´s last blog post..The Unbearable Lightness of Gymnastics

Jim October 18, 2008 at 5:17 pm

I love those maple candies. It’s like a sugar buzz all wrapped up in sparking goodness. I can find maple products at the drop of a hat though.

Jim´s last blog post..Waif, part 2 (sort of)

jenboglass (steenky bee) October 18, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Um, I have to get me some of that. For realsies. OMG. I can’t believe I’ve never heard or this or thought this up in my maple filled sweet dreams!

jenboglass (steenky bee)´s last blog post..In Between Your Errands

shonda October 18, 2008 at 9:50 pm

You city dwellers make me so jealous with all your access to random items.

shonda´s last blog post..Awesome By Association

Weezy October 19, 2008 at 6:36 am

This may be dangerous to tell you, but if you google up “maple sugar candy,” you’ll find a lot of purveyors happy to ship you all sorts of maple goodies shipped in brown wrappers so no one will know your dirty little secret.

My Buddy Mimi October 20, 2008 at 7:57 am

I have been known to photoshop pictures of my kids to remove the bump on their forehead or the crust on their eyes/nose before sending them to the grandparents. They are always demanding pictures, and when I finally get some good ones I can’t handle the comments/critiques. So I guess what I’m saying is that altering a jar of maple butter is no big deal.

My Buddy Mimi´s last blog post..Old-school calendar