Hey Everybody, Look at this Chair

by anna on August 18, 2008

[singlepic=80,440,330,,center]

Why do I like this chair? I cannot imagine ever actually purchasing it for use in my home. Nor would I recommend it to a client, if I were a decorator–which I am not.

Maybe because it is witty. Some people will think it is pro-war, but I dunno. For one thing, they don’t wear camo like that in Iraq. Also, it’s made by Frenchmen.

Thoughts?

J. August 18, 2008 at 1:32 pm

It is witty, playful, even though I don’t think I would ever have it in my home. It doesn’t look comfortable enough.

PauvrePlume August 18, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Oh, I didn’t think “camo” at all when I looked at it (and I abhor camo and, as such, feel like I have “camo radar”). It actually instantly made me think of Matisse… I LIKE IT!!! I would buy it. It could be my “conversation piece,” starting conversations like: “So, what do you think of camo?”

KB August 18, 2008 at 3:30 pm

I think the chair is great! I agree with J, it’s playful.

Weezy August 18, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Fun piece. I like the juxtaposition of the classic chair silhouette with the ’70s pop art reference fabric. I wouldn’t buy it, though….mostly because my cat would end up yakking on the cream colored spot on the front.

AKD August 18, 2008 at 5:54 pm

It is a clown chair. I don’t like it.

anna August 19, 2008 at 1:05 pm

@PauvrePlume. Hmm, never thought of the Matisse angle, but I do see what you are saying. OTOH, the color scheme is pretty much unarguably military. The name of the fabric is “cache cache.” Anybody want to take a stab at deconstructing?

@Weezy. Yeah, it’s not exactly practical. Don’t think it would be enhanced by the addition of crusted chicken nuggets–so it’s a no-go in this house. But we are modern less than we are Montage, anyway.

@AKD. do you mean a clown chair as in a chair that a clown would own, or a chair that looks like a clown, or a chair that makes one into a clown for buying it. PS how do you really feel? :)

PauvrePlume August 19, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Hey Anna,
“Cache” means “hide” in French…”cache cache” is actually the name the French give to “hide-’n-go-seek,” so I guess they were going for the camo angle, huh?? I still like it. :)

AKD August 19, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Whenever I wear a piece of clothing that sports a colorful pattern like this, Will labels it “clown fashion.” I believe that it means “something that a clown would wear.” So therefore, this chair would be something that a clown would own. Can’t you see a clown sitting in it, with a painted-on greasepaint smile and big floppy shoes?