Things I Don’t “Get”

by anna on August 9, 2008

• Confessions of a Pioneer Woman
  • American Idol
  • British humor (a general rule, with a few notable exceptions including Monty Python)
  • How pants can travel, or be “worldwide”
  • Who it was, exactly, that pissed in Christopher HitchensCheerios Weetabix
  • LOLCats
  • The furor over the iPhone
  • The popularity of Eat, Pray, Love
  • The Scion xB
  • How Nicole Ritchie was able to reproduce despite the complete lack of body fat
  • Flash websites
  • Those decals of Calvin peeing on the windows of giant trucks
  • skinny jeans
  • BlogHer View definition in a new window’s political stance
  • revisiting the 80s for anything other than alternative music
  • Dippin’ dots
  • the MAC makeup counter
  • Thomas the Train
  • America’s Funniest Home Videos
  • Anything written by or said by Eckhart Tolle
  • { 9 comments }

Lesley August 9, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Oh.Emm.Gee!
    I totally agree re: Eat, Pray, Love. What the F is up with all the EPL heads? I don’t get it. One of my very close friends bought me a copy of it for my birthday after several weeks of OCD-like EPL behavior. I’m pretty sure I saw foam literally drizzling out of her mouth as she talked about wanting to go on her “own” personal journey to Italy, India, and Indonesia. Just because they (and the Shamen) were calling to her.
    I only made it to page 60 of EPL, and then my personal secular jesus spewed atheistic hell-fire at me and forced me to stop, never to return.
    I was cool with that.

Lesley August 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm

PS) I long for the day that I am no longer ABD leading to my PBT. You give me hope. :)

anna August 10, 2008 at 6:31 am

Hah! I have been trying to get into Eat, Pray, Love primarily because I assume that I will hate it, and then I can write a funny review here . . . but man, is it boring. I’m still in Italy. I don’t think I’ll even make it to India.

Lesley . . . welcome! I felt like I would never ever finish that damn thing–I even said, on occasion, “Maybe I’ll never finish it,” just to toy with how that felt. But eventually I did it–you will too!

Weezy August 10, 2008 at 7:27 pm

EPL is okay. Not a great book, just okay. Italy is the most boring part, IMO. I liked Bali best.

Oh, and when Mini is a couple of years older, you may have a change of heart about Thomas the Tank.

Souther' Mother August 10, 2008 at 9:55 pm

You don’t like LOLcats? America’s Funniest Home Videos? What do you do when you need a belly laugh then? Have a Natty Light and give your brain the night off. It’s fun.

And the iPhone? It’s like the jackrabbit of non-sexual personal handheld technology.

anna August 11, 2008 at 10:42 am

It’s not so much I don’t like LOL cats, it’s that I don’t understand the mass appeal of them. Occasionally I’ll find one that is funny. And America’s Funniest Home Videos is boring at best (for me), sadistic at worst. IMO

Katrina C August 11, 2008 at 11:29 am

I have to say tiny little bits of frozen ice cream is the best way to go. You get the best mix of flavor that way. No large spots of Mint and little bits of chocolate. Or strawberry, then banana, then chocolate, then vanilla. It’s all in your mouth at the same time. Best way to eat ice cream if you ask me.

I’m with you on the Calvin decals though. Those things are annoying.

J. August 11, 2008 at 11:38 am

I’m right there with you on American Idol, Christopher Hitchens and the iPhone, but have you never seen Coupling or My Family? I’ll admit, I am a bit of an anglophile, but if you think of British humor as Dame Edna and Benny Hill, then you need to see other stuff. And AFV is slapstick, but people’s stupidity never fails to amaze and amuse.

Tara August 11, 2008 at 11:59 am

I have to agree with you on LOLcats and American Idol. Dreadful!