Confucius Say Calling Your Children “Garbage” Not Ever A Good Idea, Even If It Forces Them To Play Cello Like Yo Yo Ma
Here’s an ‘interesting’ article: “Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior.” The author, Amy Chua, is a Yale Law Professor, and has a book coming out this week on the topic of “Chinese” mothers and how they are superior to their Western counterparts, who are just weak namby pambys.
- People who aren’t, strictly speaking, “Chinese” include: American-born daughters of Chinese immigrants who grow up to become Yale Law Professors and marry Jewish guys.
- Pro tip: when New Haven dinner parties start ending in tears because of your parenting anecdotes, there might be a problem with your parenting choices.
- When you say “I knew exactly how highly [your father] thought of [you],” is that before or after he was referring to you as “garbage”?
- The term — “cycle of abuse” — is this just another useless Western humanities construct like, say, Yale School of Law?
- Wait — you spy on your kid? And it’s your contention that the kid is indebted to you for this?
- Sure, you respect your precious little “garbage” now, but what about after she takes a leave of absence from Harvard?
- You know, after the one night, Freshman year when, her cheeks aglow with her newfound freedom, she foolishly mixes too many tabs of E with a fifth of Jack Daniels and ends up in the university hospital for alcohol poisoning?
- And then when she’s laid out on the stretcher, chanting “It was perfect! I got to be perfect!” and she’s picking out black swan feathers out of her arm, promising any orderly who will listen that she will practice four more hours of differential equations — they will parlay that into a 24-hour hold, then a 72-hour hold, and then an indefinite stay in the psych ward?
- Will she still be your same special “garbage” then?
- Or will she be maybe a stinkier, more fetid brand of garbage at that point? Something a little more . . . Western, maybe? Something maybe you didn’t plan for in your Chinese Mom Agenda?
- And will she be able to, through all of the thorazine and the drool, know exactly how highly you think of her?
Got a list to share? Here’s what to do:
- Write a “list” post on your blog.
- Copy this code, and paste in the text of your post:
- Either comment or email me at anna at abdpbt dot com to let me know you’re participating, and I’ll link you up below.
Check out these list lovers:
- What To Blog About When You Cannot Figure Out What To Blog About | ABDPBT Personal Finance
- More Car Accessory Options — Some More Likely Than Others | ABDPBT Commodity Fetishism
- Stuff You Might Need From The Mac App Store | ABDPBT Tech
- Outright Ingrate
- Kitchen Door Katy
- Ginger at Ramble Ramble