Plugin You Need: Akismet
When you blog, you have to deal with spam. There’s just no way around it. But the good news is that there is a good way of cutting down on it, and this method requires just a few minutes of your time to install. The Akismet Plugin for WordPress can be thought of as a huge communal database of spammers. When you install it on your website, it filters through all of your comments and finds ones that have been marked as spam by other Akismet users. Once you install Akismet on your blog, about 95% or more of the spam comments you receive will be filtered automatically into your spam folder.
Here’s how to get Akismet:
- Make sure you have an API key. This is just an ID code that allows you to register with the Akismet service: there is no charge and it just takes a few minutes to get one. You can get one by registering with wordpress.com here.
- Download the Akismet Plugin to your desktop.
- Unzip the downloaded file if it’s not already done automatically.
- Use FTP to navigate to yourwebsite.com–>wp-content–>plugins.
- Upload the Akismet folder to the plugins folder.
- Activate the Akismet plugin from your WordPress Dashboard at Dashboard–>Plugins
- When prompted, enter your API code.
- Done! Goodbye, spammers!